1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

G3 - What Will It Replace??

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by crsnydertx, Jul 1, 2011.

1. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Okay, so my G3 is here and the battery charged up. A quick few clicks of the shutter with the 14/2.5 mounted confirmed the lightning fast focus; that's good.

Lately, I've settled into a comfortable routine of using the G2 with various zooms for outdoor shots and the GF1 with 20/1.7 or 14/2.5 for indoor and/or close work. Both cameras have nice controls, film modes, handling characteristics, etc. Neither is great on JPEG rendering, but that's avoidable and/or adjustable.

Enter the G3. Bigger than the GF1, smaller than the G2. Control dials and buttons more limited, film modes essentially gone, kinda small for a zoom. But a new and improved sensor, faster focusing, improved JPEG rendering, etc. Tradeoffs.

So does the GF1 or the G2 fall out of the mix? Or both? Or neither? Guess I'll try shooting with the G3 to see if I can adapt to its limitations and see which camera(s) get the most use. Keeping all three doesn't make a lot of sense, so a shakeout is inevitable.

Thoughts, anyone? Thanks!

2. Diane B

Diane B Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2010
    Chuck, I think you'll find as you set the camera up to suit your shooting that you won't feel constricted. I have a G1 and GF1 and find it a just right merger of the two but its taken all week to find the right combo of Fn buttons and Q menu and to adapt to the touch screen for certain functions. Now--which one to leave.

3. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Do you notice the difference in jpeg colors and noise between GF1 and G3?

4. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010

The film mode has apparently been renamed. This is from a review of the G3 in TecRadar in the UK:

"Panasonic has changed the names of the Film modes found on earlier G-series cameras to Photo Styles to reflect the increasing number of users who have never used film. As before, it is still possible to change the contrast, sharpness, saturation and noise reduction applied with the options: Standard, Vivid, Natural, Monochrome, Scenery, Portrait and Custom. There's no longer a Multi-Film or Multi-Style option to record a sequence of images with different Photo Styles applied though."

My G3 arrived on our back porch but we are not there, so I had a friend retrieve it. I have to wait for a week to get my hands on it.

I will be facing the same situation as I have a G1 and GF1. Where will it fit in the scheme of things.

5. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I think I'd have a hard time giving up the G2 because of the all the controls that have gone from buttons to touch screen. I also find the size of the G2 a pretty good match to the larger lens (like the 45-200) so I suppose I'd vote the GF1 off the island.

6. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    Also the G2/G1 EVF, which I really like. Another consideration is that the GF1 seems to be holding its value so would bring you more $$. It will be difficult letting it go, however, since the GF1 is what first attracted me to m4/3

7. crsnydertx

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Same here! I liked the GF1 so much that I bought a second one (used) to make sure I could have a GF1 in use for a long time!:redface:

And I stiil like it.....

8. crsnydertx

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Not tested yet.

9. crsnydertx

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Diane, thanks. Did I read that you had set up Fn2 as AE lock? That sure makes sense to me especially since Fn1 is a very shallow button - at least on my G3. Wondered if that was intentional to prevent accidental activation?

10. crsnydertx

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    But if you use the lower Fn button as the AE/AF lock, you can't get to the Q menu except via the touch screen...? Can that be right?? Time to read the manual....

11. crsnydertx

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Finally got a chance to use the G3 in a pressure situation: 2-year old grandson's birthday party with kids all over the place! Very responsive focus, quick burst mode. Haven't looked closely at images yet; back on road for work.

BUT...the issue of not being able to assign the Q menu to the Fn1 button continues to be vexing. That button is too shallow and non-tactile for use as AE/AF lock, so Fn2 is used for that. But how to get to Q menu while not using the LCD? No, I don't want to go to the regular menu....

Am I just dense or is button assignment as restrictive as I've found? Honestly, it could drive me away from the G3, maybe even to the "dark side".....

12. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
  13. G1 User

G1 User Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 20, 2010
    Right, if you use the Fn2 as the 'Q-Menu' activater, then, you will have to keep Fn1 as the AE/AF lock... I use my screen for the Q-Menu.. not an issue.. ISO can also be changed via the 'up' button while using the EVF..

I have a G1 also (I haven't used it since I got the G3), and I will keep it as a second body, when I want to use 2 lenses, and not change them.

14. crsnydertx

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Looks like I may have to use the screen after all.....:mad: Maybe I'll adapt, or maybe I'll sell and wait for Panny to return to their senses...:wink: