1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

G3 WB issues

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by elandel, Dec 18, 2011.

1. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Hi,

I bought a G3 used in mint condition at a very good price: it was a kit used by Panasonic for a road test (today will try it and hope everything works fine).

I'm a bit worried about an issue that I've read about on the web: someome says thet the G3 has an unreliable WB: is this true?

Can anyone who uses it give me some feedback and possibly some hints on how to finew tune the WB or is it just good on Auto for most situations?

Thanks

2. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Maybe I'm not as critical as others but I think it's good on auto for most situations. The one you might want to watch out for is incandecsent light - which actually trips up many cameras. Try a few shots and if the pictures are too warm (leaning toward the reds), change the setting to tungsten.

3. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I haven't had any significant problems. Two things that tend to trip it up are sodium lamps and indoor mixed light. As always, if you get home with bad pictures because of this, it's more the operator's fault than the equipment's...

4. Anthonys

Anthonys Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2011
    Sydney
    Anthony
    I get strange results when there is more than one type of light source with different ratings. eg. I shot some photos at a restaurant where there were candles, low tungsten lights and some fluorescent light some the kitchen. The WB was set to tungsten but they came out very yellow and skin tones looked horrible. Perhaps auto would have been a better setting..

5. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Today went out and shot some photos but was not very happy with B; to me it seems to underexpose a bit. These are my first with this camera so maybe I have to know it better and put the right settings. After Xmas I'll try it better.

6. ripleys baby

ripleys baby Straw clutcher

Aug 10, 2011
    The two controls i never worry about finding when my eye is at the viewfinder
    are the white balance, and the jog dial (for exposure comp)
    It wont take long to get to know it :smile:

7. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I think it's a Panny trait to underexpose a bit... perhaps to avoid blowing out highlights. But exposure compensation can deal with that.

8. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    On my G3 I now use Auto WB most all the time, but adjust it slightly one notch toward amber and one toward magenta to warm it up a bit. I just leave it that way, and it seems to do a great job.

• Like Like x 2
  9. MacBook

MacBook Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    Your setting suggestion really helped, at least in my initial attempts with inside lighting. Thanks.