1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

G3 vs OM-D vs GX1

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by vallver, Jul 16, 2012.

1. vallver

vallver Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 15, 2012
    Hi everyone!

I've been using my Canon 60D with a Tamron 17-50 f2.8 and the Canon 50mm f1.8 for a while now and, while I am really happy with the results I get, I have always liked the reduced size and weight of the m43 systems...

Because of this, I have decided to try the m43 system for some time and, if I get used to it, eventually sell my Canon gear.

However, I'm not sure about what camera and lenses I should buy...

If money wasn't an issue I would definitely buy the OM-D but I'm not sure paying twice the price is justified for what I will use it...

From what I've read, there are no significant differences between the G3 and the GX1 and, although I find the included EVF on the G3 appealing, I like the rangefinder style better and I'm not sure wether I would use the EVF that much...

Regarding the lenses, this is the setup I was thinking of

14mm 2.5
    20mm 1.7
    45mm 1.8

I think that with these I would cover most of the focal lengths I use on my DSLR with good IQ... What do you think? How would the 14-42X fit in this setup? Is the IQ so much worse?

Thanks in advance for your help
    Marc

• Like Like x 2
  2. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi Marc,
    All of them are excellent cameras and GX1 offers much better value for money . You can easily pick up GX1 for USD 435 body only and then add on exotic glass as you have planned already . The above trio is a very nice combo and will cater your needs very well and if you need more fun just pick up Nokton 17. 5m .95 .Oly and Panny are launching more lenses in the next couple of weeks and you will have more choice . If you wanna spend wisely then I would ditch OMD and go for GX1 otherwise OMD is the best MFT offering currently and has all bells and whistles which no other camera offers at this price .Now Panny X 14-42 has a bad reputation here and everywhere else as well . If you need a walk around kit lens then go for Panasonic 14-45 or Oly 12-50
    Cheers
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Heya. A lot of threads here covering this ground, but don't think you can go wrong with any of those bodies. I love my E-M5, but maybe would lean towards picking something up that is being discounted now (e.g. GX1 or G3) or used, and then using the savings towards more lenses.

The only other thing I would say is that the prime lenses are great for m4/3. I would put the money there, rather than picking up the kit x zoom.

What type of stuff are you interested in shooting?

4. vallver

vallver Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 15, 2012
    Thanks to both of you!

Yeah... I was leaning towards the G3 or GX1... still have to decide wether I need an EVF or not... hard choice!

EVF vs pocketable (kinda)

I shoot mostly street scenes but also shoot landscapes and architecture when travelling (although I find it a bit boring...). I also like shooting portraits and interesting situations in general...

5. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Well, for the boring stuff (landscape and architecture), I would recommend you take a look at the Olympus 12mm f/2. Expensive and a bit bigger than the 14/2.5, but I found it to be sharper in the corners when stopped down. It may work pretty well for street, as well, with the snap focus(zone?), but maybe a bit too flashy?

6. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Totally agree - I can afford an OM-D but I chose to go with a G3 and GX1 setup, for this reason primarily. After seeing how much the GF2 I bought new dropped in price in one year and how much the G3, GX1 and other cameras have descended in equally short time frames, I'd rather be one generation behind and snap up the comparative bargains. It's not as though my G3 suddenly takes worse pictures because the OM-D was released, after all. As they say, "cameras are for Christmas, lenses are for life" :smile:

For roughly another $200, you can get the LVF2 and have both :biggrin: For me, I bought the GX1 with the LVF2 just this past week and within 2 days decided to sell off one of my G3 dual bodies in favor of keeping the GX1 instead. To make a long story short, I found the GX1 just a little more enjoyable to use (mostly subjective "feel") and since it arrived Friday, I actually haven't touched my G3.

Don't get me wrong, I still like having the G3 for the tilt & swivel screen, more streamlined body w/built-in EVF, and slightly larger grip. The GX1 is a bit like an upgraded & improved version of my old GF2, with the IQ of the G3 and a really decent viewfinder attachment. Best of both worlds in some ways, provided an external viewfinder and non-articulated screen aren't huge minuses for you.

• Like Like x 1
  7. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Agree. I like the controls of the GX1 better and like the flexibility of having/not having the EVF, so I bought the GX1 + LVF2. :2thumbs:

• Like Like x 1
  8. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    G3+12-35/2.8 and done

9. vallver

vallver Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 15, 2012
    Yup, shall I give you my address so you can buy it and ship it to me? :p

Unfortunately that's a bit too expensive for me and it's also not really pocketable

I think I'll go for the GX1 finally... But I'll try both first just in case!

10. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    I'm not too sure how anyone can take serious photographs without a VF of some kind - my brain stops computing composition etc properly when holding the camera at arms length.....

• Like Like x 1
  11. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
  12. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    If that picture is for real, I'll be giving serious consideration to returning to Panasonic; the lack of a proper grip on the G3 made it an impossible camera for me. $599 body-only is a VERY attractive price point; sounds too good to be true.

13. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Cool... it looks like the best parts of the GX1 controls added to the G3, with an improved grip and ergonomics. I'm really curious to see what the GH3 ends up looking like too.

14. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    First, I'd recommend a camera with an EVF. Some people do get by fine using just the LCD, but for somebody used to shooting with a DSLR it's an adjustment. At least for me, seeing the LCD in bright sunlight is also a serious problem.

As to the 14-42X, it's a decent lens, if you get a good copy. But that's difficult - I've tried 3 and they all have the problem with blurring (double-images) at the long end. The main charm is the size.

Personally, I'd suggest a G3 kit (w/14-42) and perhaps a 20/1.7 to start. That'll give you a good feel for what's possible. Or if you're into portraits a lot with the Canon 50/1.8, the Olympus 45/1.8 is a sensible alternative to the 20/1.7.

Finally, if you go for the Panasonic 14/2.5, look on eBay. There are dozens of mint 'de-kitted' 14/2.5s (lenses from GF3 kits) for about half the retail price of a new one.

DH

15. vallver

vallver Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 15, 2012
    ****... if the G5 is really 599$... I might consider getting it instead of the G3 :S
    I'll wait till the announcements in August though :)

I am travelling atm so I'm in no hurry!

16. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    As others have said.... if you like the GX1 better, go for it. You can always add the LVF-2 later if you decide you want or need the EVF.