1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

G3 vs. Nikon V1 Shootout

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Armanius, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Video from TheCameraStore, our friendly neighbours up north. Interesting video.

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MudtMJQUeUM]Nikon V1 vs. Panasonic G3 Shootout - YouTube[/ame]

• Like Like x 2
  2. kytra

kytra Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2011
    Thanks for sharing, I had a worse opinion about the V1 before seeing this test. Anyway, for me is a no go because it is too big for what it is offering. I really have problems understanding how the 10-100 zoom (and the standard zoom) is soo big for such a small sensor. It seems Nikon has problems in doing small stuff, and that makes sense since they haven't actually had the need for that in their DSLR line.

3. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

Armanius,

Thankd for the good contribution to this site.

Nikon can build good hardware and NIK can write good software. However, Nikon has a horrible mind set and/or very poor hearing when it comes to incorporating customer ideas into their cameras. There is very little COOL in the entire Coolpix line and not much quality/reliability either. Frankly, Nikon, in my opinion, put Canon solidly in the SLR and DSLR markets and continued with the same in the P & S market. These good producers are very, very slow learners.

Best regards,
    Tom

4. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Nikon 1 J1 owner here - Kevlar forum armor ON :biggrin:

Gotta love those guys, funny and quite accurate :smile: 10-100 is a power zoom vs the 30-110 zoom so I suspect that (in part) is why it's so large. :redface: One person from Nikon did explain to me that the "1" system is not targeted at the experienced shooter.

However, I plan on getting rid of my NEX system next week. :eek: (Which will leave me with Olympus µ4/3 and Nikon 1).

Why am I departing NEX? Because in 45 days, Nikon has given me more lenses than what Sony did in over a year.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    After trying one in a store, I agree with their conclusion. There's no compelling reason for me to consider a V1 right now, especially with the lens handicap they have both in size and selection.

The whole reason I went with a CSC was to get control over DOF. Unless Nikon releases some REALLY fast lenses, I don't think it's a system for me. If Nikon came out with really compact, fast (probably f/1 or faster) lenses, I might be tempted.

6. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Has anyone released a c-mount to Nikon 1 adapter yet? There's a lot of fast 1" video lenses that wouldn't vignette on their smaller sensor.

7. JayShiva

JayShiva Mu-43 Regular

Nov 6, 2011
    Yarm, UK
    Went into a chain camera store today, staff are HEAVILY encouraging punters to consider the Nikon 1 series. Might have something to do with the Nikon logo embroidered on their uniforms...

8. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    More likely has to do with the "Nikon" on their commission check

9. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    It is a good review, and I have to admit I am really surprised at what Nikon has pulled off, though it's still not a system for me. I'm using a PL25/1.4 to get as close as possible to using 50mm 1.8 on FF. Nikon's the opposite direction, but it looks like a good system.

10. Holmes375

Holmes375 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2010
    Rocky Mountains, USA
    I'm glad Nikon is seeing a nice success story so far with their new system. They've had some rough breaks over the last year and the One system will hopefully offset these somewhat.

m4/3 better addresses my needs currently thus I've no interest in the V1 or J1. It will be interesting to see how the second generations of these neat little machines evolve. If they pop up with a V1 body that incorporates a tilt LCD and greater external controls, I'd wager Nikon would have a grand slam on their hands.

And, how cool would it be to have that AF system in a GH3?!

11. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Your statement arguably holds true with regards to point and shoot cameras, which many photographers and Nikon users keep feeling let down by. However, ask anyone with a Nikon or Canon SLR how they feel about the brand, and you are likely to hear that about the company from its users. Go look online at user experiences with the D300, D7000, D700, D3, 5D, 7D, etc. The thing is, their user input comes from professionals, not random people on the internet.

Canon was around long before the SLR and P&S markets existed; Nikon didn't let them in anywhere. Also, Canon has over 100,000 employees and is ranked on the Fortune 500; don't confuse who the 500-pound gorilla is.

The staff aren't the only ones. Respected photographers online that have tried the camera are all raving about it (to differentiate from all of the mall ninjas online that have been posting about what shortcomings the system surely has, due to their unequivocal photographic knowledge). Look at these statements, from photographers that both heavily use m4/3 gear:
    The Visual Science Lab / Kirk Tuck: Nikon 1. Counterintuitive. Crazy. And a whole lot of fun.
    The Visual Science Lab / Kirk Tuck: I'm always amazed at how entrenched people can get in a position without even a thimble of experience...
    The Nikon V1 Video Overview and ISO test – Impressive! | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS

So, maybe Nikon is paying them to say it's a great camera. Or, maybe they've tried it, and they've just realized that it's a great camera, so why not tell the customer.

12. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Its just a Point&Shoot with Interchangable Lenses

I dont think this system will mature into a full blown system at the end of the day . It will lose its charm very soon and u will get used Nikon 1 series cameras for peanuts by next year.The major advantage of mirrorless cameras is small lenses -specially MFT , and portability .This system is hardly portable. I know many online photographers ,magazines will push this camera as it carries Nikon logo . I woudnt dump 1000 dollars on a over rated point and shoot . I would also encouage people to buy MFT if they plan to buy more lenses and NEx system if they plan to just stick with kit lens, one prime and one telezoom .Now someone will say it doesnt need to mature as a system . Its just for fun shooters but then why Nikon didnt produce a superzoom with same body and senosr ? That will make casual shooters happy . The major disadvantage is lens size..Look at them they look huge
    Cheers

13. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Most of my negative thoughts about the system 1 were dispelled after I used the J1 and the V1. Granted, the 10-30 is about the same size as the Oly 14-42 and bigger than the upcoming 14-42X (but smaller than the Pany 14-42 and 14-45). However, the 30-100 is smaller than the Oly 40-150 and the Pany 45-175 and the 45-200. You gotta experience the 60 FPS and AF speed to understand the strengths of this system.

14. Is the faster AF speed really useable? My personal feeling was that once the mirrorless systems started matching or bettering PDAF DSLR systems, any further proclaimed improvements were little more than a pissing contest.

15. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

60FPS and High speed Video is not NEW

Ok , I will have to go Teds( A camera store in OZ) and check it out but still i cant digest the price.It should be around USD399-699 given that even Panasonic G2 body is only for USD 299 these days.
    U mean it can be a real fun for sports and wildlife photographers? But if u remember Casio has done these type of frame rates and fast videos in their cameras.So lets see how it behaves in long run.By theway Sony Nex5N also shoots at 10FPS. Nikon V1 with dual kit lens is being sold for 1399 AUD here and thats simply too much. I

16. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    The hybrid AF system caught me attention when the Nikon 1s specs were first announced, and I still feel the same way after playing with both the V1 and J1 at a local electronic store. I hope Olympus will put a similar system onto their next PEN!

17. kytra

kytra Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2011
    The price should definitely go down in order to be considered an option vs m4/3. I have a Nikon DSLR setup (that I am very satisfied with) but at the current price my attraction towards the Nikon mirorless offering is zero.

18. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I think framerate is going to be the next MP war. People won't know that they don't need it, but they will just "know" that a higher number is better.

I find it interesting that in the video review above, they didn't even discuss the AF, saying both were fast.

19. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Can I hold you to that, and what do I get when you're wrong? The online photographers have no vested interest in pushing Nikon except that they think it's a good camera. When someone whose online reviews are well respected by other professional photographers says it's a good system says it's a good camera, and they're investing into the 1 system as well as their own cameras, but you say it's an overblown point and shoot, which opinion do you think holds more water? But, I guess we'll see.

Steve Huff says the Nikon is faster than his E-P3.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I found the C-AF very usable of the J1. It really seemed to keep focus lock on moving objects, much better than the E-PM1 I played with. Single shot AF seemed to be a wash between the two.

Interesting to note that Jeff at Dcresource states that in low light conditions, the Nikons use CDAF instead of PDAF, which makes no sense to me, because PDAF is better suited for low light, one would think. I never played with the J1 in low light, though.