1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

G3 vs GH2 w adapted Nikkors

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Holmes375, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Holmes375

Holmes375 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2010
    Rocky Mountains, USA
    I'm interested in playing around with some old manual focus Nikon AI telephoto lenses using a Voigtlander F adapter. These lenses all have tripod collars.

For work such as this would there be any operational advantage to using a GH2 body over the G3?

While I'd be using the LCD primarily I'd occasionally want to use the EVF. I'm familiar with the GH2 viewfinder and I've read the G3's viewfinder isn't quite as bright. Is there really that much of a difference between the two?

I'd prefer to buy a G3 body as I don't want to buy a body/lens kit. But if the GH2 has distinct advantages I could pick up a nice second hand body.

Thanks for any insights you might be able to provide.

2. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    From my understanding the G3 and GH2 viewfinders are essentially identical...

The differences to me:

- GH2 is more substancial - I've found it very nicely balanced with my bigger legacy glass (SMC 50/f1.2, SMC 135/f2.5)
    - G3 has box-in-box focus magnification

I think if you're using them on a tripod its 6/half dozen... Both great bodies :smile:

3. Holmes375

Holmes375 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2010
    Rocky Mountains, USA
    Thanks, Nick, and I agree - the GH2 is a nice handling machine.

I'm not sure the box-in-the-box feature is available with an adapted lens mounted. I've never used adapters yet but I understand one must set the camera to 'shoot without lens' and this may disengage the b-in-b feature.

Still researching :)

4. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    they are not! The EVF in the GH2 is multi-aspect, just like its sensor :)

5. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    I haven't used a G3 so I can't say for sure, but I don't see why box-in-box would care which lens was attached? It's just magnifying part of the sensor read-out...

I take it back, the GH2 is wider...

6. simonz

simonz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2010
    New England
    I have had both the G3 and GH2. I sold the G3 and staying with the GH2 and loving it. The picture in picture focusing on the G3 is nice and does work with legacy lenses, but overall, the ergonomics of the GH2 are excellent and consistent with my backup camera, the G2. I didn't like the direction that the G3 was taking, as it felt small and dumbed down.

7. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    I have the GH2 and the G3- both using Nikon AI-s lens (28mm, 40mm, and 50mm) and the GH3 (like Nick said) is more substantial to hold on to while focusing.

I didnt notice any difference between the EVF's *performance wise* and they work fine with manual focus.

Image quality is also very similar.. both are a bit "cool" with the WB- if you use LR it should be no problem to correct.

Both are awesome cameras.