G3 vs. GF3

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by RDSChicago, May 27, 2011.

1. RDSChicago

RDSChicago New to Mu-43

Nov 25, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    I have a GH1 and was going to trade it for a GH2. Then I read about the G3 and wanted that one. Then I read about the GF3, which has all led to mass confusion on my part.

What seems to be the difference between the G3 and GF3, other than broader ISO range? Is the GF3 going to be substantially smaller than the G3? The models seem to overlap tremendously? What is Panasonic thinking?

If I don't really shoot much video at all, which model should I purchase and why?

So far, I have the 40-140, 20mm 1.7 and 45mm 2.8 macro lenses.

Any thoughts are appreciated!
  2. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    We don't really even know if there will be a GF3 - it's all rumor and speculation currently.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. RDSChicago

RDSChicago New to Mu-43

Nov 25, 2010
    Chicago, IL
  4. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    AFAIK Panasonic has always had a 2-sensor, 3-body lineup, with the GH getting the top dog sensor and the G and GF sharing the next tier. If they follow that pattern then the GF3 will share the same sensor with the G3. The primary difference between the G and GF lines being the EVF.

Even if the GF3 does have a different sensor, it's not likely to be significantly better than the G3, considering how close their release dates are. If it were my choice, the deciding factor would be if I wanted an EVF and were willing to live with the size difference.

my iPhone sent this
  5. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Wow, put "official" in a web post, and you'll believe anything, huh?
  6. jimr.pdx

jimr.pdx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    near Longview ~1hr from PDX
    Jim R
    Definitely time for the 'cure' - step away from the computer and take 10 or more pictures, 3x per day. You have excellent gear and plenty of time before the GFx makes an appearance, so let your worries go and get creative! :smile: When the time comes, you will decide and between the two there's no bad decision to make; what a great position to be in.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
  8. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    @RDSChicago - welcome to the forum!

I understand and appreciate your concerns - I am looking at the G3 as a possible replacement to my G1 and the GF3 as a replacement for my GF1 (depending on the final specs). And I am waiting to see what Olympus puts out as well. These are exciting times for new gear.

4/3 Rumors, which has a good track record of sifting through rumors also has a June release predicted as well (43 Rumors | Blog | (FT5) Panasonic to launch a new ultrasmall GF3 camera! (but there will be one more GF this year?)). The forum founder found it good enough to put on the front page of this forum previously.

That said make sure you upgrade for a reason, not just because it is new. I have gotten caught up in the newest gear craze before and spent money that did not improve my photography. So I may wait for the GF4 or GF5 or GF6 ...

• Like Like x 1
  9. brunerww

Mar 5, 2011
    I am a GH2 shooter, so I'm prejudiced -- but I think you should stick with your original decision. I think you'd miss your GH1's EVF if you went with a GF-type camera (and the GH2's EVF is even better).

Plus, even if you don't shoot video and don't use your GH1's 1080p video or your external mic jack, I think you'll regret the loss of the GH1/GH2's focus mode dial on the G3 (I am not a big fan of drilling down into a menu to change basic camera settings).

Good luck with your decision,

10. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    I think Bill is probably right. I just preordered a G3... but I really don't consider it a true replacement for my G1. I'll most likely regard it as a replacement for my GF1 - preferring the new camera over the GF1 with the optional EVF mounted on it (faster auto focus and better high ISO performance will be big bonuses). Time will tell.

But, as a true G1 replacement, I will eventually go for a GH2 (or perhaps a GH3) for the external controls and better balance with my 45-200mm and 100-300mm lenses.

So, if you must act now, I would advise buying a GH2 as a direct replacement for your GH1. You could always add a GF3 body later if you decided you wanted a small micro four-thirds body for certain situations. But if it's only a choice between the G3 or GF3 as a replacement for your GH1... I would say go with the G3.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Richard,

You and I have the same setup as far as bodies go. For openers, I haven't (yet) felt too left behind with my GF1 or G1.

I have noticed that lately I'm grabbing for the G1 more often than the GF1 as I really like the nice bright viewfinder...

Do you have a "pul it out of the bag" preference?

12. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    The G1 because if the viewfinder and the articulating screen. Both features I find very useful. A few nights ago I was shooting over my shoulder to get a few candids with the G1 that would have been impossible with the GF1. And I also like to hold the G1 over my head and shoot high angle shots. In fact I will put the camera on a monopod, set the timer to 10 seconds and hold it really high. Great for shooting in and over large crowds.

I am not very happy with the high ISO performance of either - I rarely shoot above 400 because of the noise. If the G3 is as good as the test images I have seen at high ISO I may be tempted. But I will wait for the rest of the Panny and Oly camera shoes to drop this summer.
  13. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    I too much prefer the EVF and articulating screen features on my GH2 vs my GF1.

Remember, too, to choose your ISO in multiples of the base ISO (not intermediate ISO options) to minimize noise as much as possible. On the GH2 this would be 160, 320, 640, etc. On the GF1, this would be 100, 200, 400, etc.

For me, the auto exposure bracket selector on top of the GH2 is as important and useful as the EVF and articulating screen as I commonly blend bracketed exposures for higher dynamic range and this control makes doing so incredibly fast and easy. I hope the G3 or GF3 has this feature. If not, then the GH2 will continue to be my m4/3 camera of choice.
  14. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    This is ultimately a question of which body style do you prefer. I myself like the handling of the G1/G2 (I have a G2). The EVF and rotating LCD are very useful. I don't have a GF1 to compare but I do have an E-P1 and while I prefer the smaller, more discreet E-P1 form on occasion, I find the G2 to be a really great camera and usually the one I reach for first.