G3 vs GF3/GF5 for shooting kids

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by 5thTo2nd, Jun 7, 2012.

1. 5thTo2nd

5thTo2nd New to Mu-43

Jun 7, 2012
    Hi Mu43,

I came across the Panasonic G line upon researching a good camcorder replacement to help me take better video of my little kids.

I've narrowed things down to ether the G3 or GF3/GF5 with the standard 14-42 kit lens for the zoom. I'm leaning slightly toward G3 since I'm putting a high priority on video quality. Stills are secondary since I'm actually a Nikon D80 shooter.

Couple questions.

1. I've youtube'd and vimeo'd but I can't seem to tell whether the G3 video is that much better than the GF3....and how close does the GF5 get to the G3 in terms of video quality?

2. Would I be correct in assuming these cameras would be good for taking stills and video of my kids indoors with that kit lens? Anyone with firsthand experience with this please chime in.

3. Now that the GF5 is in pre-order, typically how low will GF3 likely drop in price and when is that likely to happen? Along the same lines, what's the best price so far for each of these three kits?

Thanks in advance!
  2. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    For video, a GH2 would be a better choice. While the G3 makes great video, it is handcuffed in many ways so as not to steal sales from the GH2 (IMHO)

The sensor in the G3 is better in low light than any other m43 (except maybe the OMD, which might actually be using the same sensor)

Either will easily keep pace with your D80 for stills.
  3. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    G3 has a better sensor than GF3 (and probably 5). It also has a screen you can flip out which should be useful for videos.
  4. 5thTo2nd

5thTo2nd New to Mu-43

Jun 7, 2012
    Thanks for the responses so far...I would have loved to get the GH2, especially seeing some of the professional-quality videos around the net made with it...but it's far too expensive at over $1000 for the kit.

I'm probably going to end up with a GF3...I found a deal on one locally with the PZ lens but now I'm reading that it's got some issues with blurring.

Anyone have any other thoughts as to which would be better suited to shooting the kids, mostly indoors?
  5. B Rob N

B Rob N New to Mu-43

Apr 9, 2012
    I'm primarily a stills shooter so i cant comment on video quality. I do have a GF 3 though and I have noticed that its easy to cover up the microphone when holding the camera, especially with smaller lenses. You might want to take that into consideration if sound is important. Also if I remember correctly it is only a mono mike.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 using Mu-43 App
  6. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    I think you'd be better of picking up a used GH2 and a 14-140 as its a top quality video lens. There are more and more of these showing up as people convert to the OMD. If you deal with someone of this site with a decent rep( shown in the buy/sell forum) I think you will be quite happy with the product you receive. Or if your willing to wait awhile, there is supposedly a GH3 coming, which will reduce the price of the GH2. I've seen it a few months ago on sale for $749 with the 14-140 included.
  7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    What he said^.
  8. 5thTo2nd

5thTo2nd New to Mu-43

Jun 7, 2012
    Thanks for the responses.

Yes, I would love to have a GH2--do you remember which store had that pricing? I'm in Canada as well.

I hadn't considered the possibility of a GF2 with 14-140...that seems appealing due to the EVF and external flash....it would also give me some decent zoom...I've only ever purchased electronics new so this would be a bit of a stretch for me...I guess more professional photographers probably buy used all the time

I was at the store today and I really am surprised how small the G3 is...