1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

G3 vs. D5100 and T3i comparisons!!

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Armanius, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    I like Gordon Laing's site. IMO, he's not biased, and is often very diplomatic in his reviews.

If you are getting excited about the G3, you may appreciate Gordon's preview/review with the comparisons vs. the T3i and D5100.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 review | Cameralabs

• Like Like x 4
  2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Your Pentax K-5 has the same sensor as the Nikon D5100 :wink:

3. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    The G3 may very well be the first M43 that can stand toe to toe with entry-level dSLRs in terms of price and performance while beating them on size. I hope it does well. Really well.

4. I quite like the cameralabs reviews as well, even if Gordon does say "in practise" too much if you watch the video reviews :biggrin:

5. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    do want!

6. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    Panasonic has hit a home run with this camera.

7. But hang on! Didn't the leaked GF3 specs spell doom and gloom for Micro Four Thirds? You know, it's been dumbed down, game over, the format's dead, etc, etc.

Funny how the G3 was temporarily forgotten about even before it was released, but it certainly seems like it will deliver the goods.

8. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I don't remember this anywhere....The more direct comparisons were how the G3 stacked up against the GH2.

9. ^^

10. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I am impressed ...

11. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    The size is quite something. I mean, the GH2 is, to my mind, a great feat of packaging. great ergonomics and control and great performance too. The G3 is significantly smaller, yet has the EVF and articulating screen. It's true you lose some of the direct controls, but for a lot of people the two Fn buttons will fix much of that. It's a very solid little camera.

The only thing that irks me a little in these comparisons is that it is set against 'entry level' DSLRs. It makes sense to have price-point as one of the factors to consider, but overall capability should be a consideration. There is the whiff of a concerted effort to keep M4/3 solidly in it's place...

12. John M Flores

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    I'm not too concerned about the spectre of "entry-level". It's just the start. And remember, one of the things that sustains Pentax is the fact that 20 plus years ago many current owners started with "entry-level" K1000s.

Panasonic should be so lucky to have a modern K1000 on its hands...

13. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    A very well made point. I remember walking past a camera store every day after school (one of those real camera stores...) and just staring at the K1000. It was so beautiful.

14. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    that's all well and good, but when are they going to put all that good stuff into a gf1-ish body (with a viewfinder!).

I don't want to be the guy to throw the turd in the punchbowl.....I'm excited, too. It's just not the camera I'm looking for. As long as I already have a couple cameras I like, I'll wait until the right one comes along.

15. John M Flores

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Isn't that what they did?

pandada_1_Panasonic-DMC-G3_752d27e6f5fb71445ff5c1d481c7738c.

Is the removal of the hump that important? Can't you just see it as a beauty mark? :rofl:

• Like Like x 4
  16. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
  17. matai

matai Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 20, 2011
    Wow, that looks like with a pancake I could slip it into a coat or cargo shorts pocket.

18. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Brazil
    Sidinei
    Thanks for showing me this comparison. Just now I realized the size of the G3. And now I understood why GF3 is the way it is. No reason for it to have an evf.

19. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Thx for the comparison pic John! The G3 seems to be slimmer than the GF1!

20. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Personally,
    I hate the "hump" because it makes it look like a mini-DSLR and less stealthy for street shooting, regardless of the size difference....