1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

G3 Viewfinder?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by jpcairns, Nov 23, 2012.

1. jpcairns

jpcairns Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Joshua
    Hey everyone,

father's birthday is approaching, and he enjoys photography but hasn't done much of it in a while as he doesn't have an appropriate camera. Used to use an old Minolta all the time, but since the days of digital he's just had a point and shoot.

Long story short, I'll be getting him a camera as a gift, and was looking at the G3 deal as it's on for $300 right now. Coming from a film camera, however, I know he will want to use the viewfinder over the screen. I've heard the quality is good, but is it good as in a substitute for an optical viewfinder? Would it be doable to use manual focus with it?

Thanks!

2. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    The 300$ is a very good deal. I own the G2 and use mostly the viewfinder for taking photos. Focusing is very easy using the viewfinder. If your father kept his legacy lenses he can use them by getting the appropriate adapter. I use an Olympus legacy OM 50mm and manual focus is a breeze.

3. Photodan1

Photodan1 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    Nashville, Tennessee, USA
    Dan
    Have had a G3 for several months now and shot numerous paid gigs and have been very happy with it. EVF is quite good and I have surprisingly used the touch focus screen quite a bit. I like it so much that I wouldn't want to get another digital body without the touch screen.

Picture quality is also very good as well.

4. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    There are trade-offs between an EVF and OVF. I came from DSLRs, and the EVF took some getting used to, but all in all I think it's fine. In dim light, it will amplify the light levels, making it much easier to see what you're shooting.

The biggest disadvantage is when following action in burst mode. There can be some lag between shots making it hard to follow action. Compared to te LCD screen on the back of the typical P&S, though, it's dramatically better.

5. jpcairns

jpcairns Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Joshua
    Thanks for the input.

It is basically down to a Rebel T3 or Panasonic G3 as they'd be the same price, but I think I'll probably be getting the G3 for him. My only wonder is if he, regardless of the actual difference, would prefer a DSLR having been used to a complicated, heavy, optical VF Minolta camera.

6. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    What lens or lenses will your dad be likely to use? If just medium range zoom kit lens, the Rebel is probably a good choice, and you won't have to worry about how he'll like the EVF. But if he's likely to want a telephoto zoom, too, the size and weight advantage of m43 becomes significant.

You also didn't mention what he'll use it for. If it's just typical snapshots, either will work fine. But if he'll be shooting sports, or rapidly moving grandchildren, or birds in flight ,the Rebel may well be a better choice. OTOH, if he'll be shooting in dim indoor situations (school plays, concerts ?) the EVF will be an advantage, I think.

Oh, I just thought of one more thing. The OVF in a Rebel, and all the other entry level DSLRs, is a far different experience than what your dad had with his old 35mm cameras. Because of the smaller image size, the image in the viewfinder is smaller, and because today's entry level cameras all use penta-mirror designs (instead of a penta-prism) to save money, they're a lot dimmer than the old FF pentaprism designs. The image in the vewfinder of the G3 will be larger and brighter in most situations.

7. LeeOsenton

LeeOsenton Mu-43 Button Clicker

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    Probably not a popular answer here, but have you considered a Sony alpha? The Sony DSLRs can autofocus with A mount Minolta lenses. The lenses can also be adapted for use on a NEX or G3 (but no autofocus). The current deal on the G3 is excellent but there may be more value in spending an little more for an entry Sony if his lenses are valuable.

Lee