1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

G3 viewfinder and sensor (gf3 vs g3)

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by yottavirus, Oct 18, 2011.

1. yottavirus

yottavirus Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2011
    I currently don't have a u43 camera and my beautiful lenses are yearning for sunlight. I've been considering how much size means to me, which is a property of the viewfinder. The GF3 is pocketable and does not require a bag, while the G3 is not.

A ton of thought later, I moved on to considering the VF and the sensor. I've only used the VF twice, in both cases I thought that it was far inferior to an optical one. However, I do have a preference for using viewfinders over the point and shoot style. I was thinking that I should just get a G3 instead of buying a VF-2 on an olympus camera as it would come to be cheaper, and the only weakness is that it's not removable. Do you think that the VF is an example of a high end EVF?

My position on sensors is that handling>>sensor quality, so I'm not giving this criterion much weight, but does anyone find that this sensor significantly improves your shooting experience? Is the autofocus system also the same as that in the GF2? I found that the GF2 was far, far superior to the e-pl2, where the 14-42 II olympus kit lens would focus practically instantly, while the 20/1.7 never felt slow, unlike on the e-pl2.

On the topic of price, the G3 body is $110 more than the GF3 kit, while the G3 kit is $185 more than the GF3 kit. If I go with the G3, I'll probably get the kit as it allows the selection of colours, and the lens would probably sell on ebay for at least $75. Hence the price isn't really an issue as they're both really cheap.

2. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    In my opinion, the GF3 is a joke. No viewfinder, no flash hotshoe, fixed screen, poor sensor... The G3 is simply a much better camera. But, of course, not as pocketable as the GF3.

3. Strat, I think you're approaching the GF3 from the wrong angle.

No viewfinder: They can be beneficial, but are hardly necessary
    No hotshoe: I don't know if I'd be attaching an enormous flash to such a tiny camera. (Hilarious images of a 580EX attached to a Canon G12 come to mind).
    Fixed screen: It and the vast majority of other cameras available for sale today.
    Poor sensor: Compared to what? Cameras much larger than it?

The GF3 is a tiny camera. Too small for me, but probably perfect for some, particularly as a second/backup camera. It's small size means that it may be compromised in some ways, but I'd stop well short of calling it a joke.

4. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    I agree with Nic... I've had a GF3 along with a variety of other m4/3 bodies... I found that whenever I grabbed my GF3 and a lens... I was able to capture images which were comparable to any other m4/3 body you could name and the form factor was remarkably small, light, and nimble.

Personally, I would never stick a flash on one of my m4/3 bodies, so that ability means nothing to me. What I would appreciate is a tilting LCD screen, which the GF3 lacks, unfortunately.

But when one wants the smallest possible m4/3 form factor, I think the GF3 is AWESOME. It's definitely not my first or second choice for m4/3 body. But as an alternate body, that easily brings home the m4/3 image quality... I think the GF3 is a wonderful camera indeed. Very high image quality and very compact form factor. There's great utility in that for many shooters.

5. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Maybe. But I sincerely doubt that the GF3 has better image quality than the G2. I used the G2 for almost a year and found that in terms of image quality it's really close to high-end point-and-shoot cameras. In fact, my Samsung EX1 (a small sensor digicam) has better dynamic range and roughly the same noise performance. It's also still smaller and more convenient than any Micro 4/3 camera.

On the other hand, G3 and GH2 has much better image quality. Not PnS-ish, that's for sure.

In my opinion, if the OP wants to extract the best possible image quality out of his great lenses, the G3 will be much better than the GF3. But that's just my opinion, of course. :)

I don't use on-camera flash, either. But I use a wireless flash trigger on my GH2 all the time.

6. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    strat... yes, the G3 will have an edge in IQ over the GF3 - but not much! When it comes to features, yes the G3 leads by a long shot! But most people would never notice any difference in IQ in an image shot with the GF3 and the G3. That's a wash for the typical user. The GF3 is quite reduced in size and simplified in features, but it's got a great sensor in it which delivers the goods. I've been thrilled with the performance of my GF3 and I also shoot GF1, GH2, G3, and E-PL3.

7. yottavirus

yottavirus Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2011
    A friend got some funding for some film stuff, and they're getting a couple of GH2s. I could tag along and get a body for $700 or so, or with the 14-140 for about $1200. The problem with that is that it would be like handling a dslr again.

If I get a GH2, I'd probably get a GF3. It would be a great pair, to be able to use whatever form factor that suits me. By selling my dslr could pay for it, and I'd be able to share lenses between the two as well. When the 70-200 comes out I think I'll have a whale of a time with the GH2. Before, I'd carry my gf2 or epl2 almost everywhere while using a dslr for more serious work. I think this path will be the same or very similar, just with interchangeable lenses.

8. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    yotta... the GH2 is a fabulous camera. Panasonic really did it up right with that camera. It's not cute or sexy, but so what? It's a lot smaller than a DSLR and has all the functionality you could hope for, including class leading video capability. I think the GH2 paired with a GF3 is a great combo indeed. The GF3 is amazingly small... similar to an LX5 in size! A set of lenses shared between the two bodies would be great.

9. yottavirus

yottavirus Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2011
    Well, my dad just suddenly bought a gf3, probably for himself.
    I tried a g3, gf3 and g2 at the shop today. I liked all three so I'm back to choosing over form factor, and colour(g3). White is great but may be too flashy at times, black is safe but boring and too serious, brown is a great middle ground but is very outlandish.