G3 Video

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by jayhawk92, Jun 24, 2012.

1. jayhawk92

jayhawk92 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 24, 2012
    Ok I've searched like crazy and I keep finding the same answer, if you're concerned with video get the GH2. The truth is that I'm not a camera buff, just want something really nice for photos of family and family videos. At this point I am convinced that the G3 takes excellent stills. What I'm a little hazy on is the quality of video that you can get with the G3. I keep reading that the GH2 is better, so that's understood. My question is, is the G3 bad, good, great, excellent? What I want is to take videos of my kids running around, and have them look great on my Viera 42" plasma. I don't need to shoot music videos or films for festivals. Is the G3 just not a good camera for video, or just not quite as good as the GH2? HELP!!! :confused:

2. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    I have the GH2 for video, but I often shoot video with my GF3 just because it's available, and for most family stuff, it's fine. I think most people will be pleased.

The GF3 and G3 are about the same for video. The G3 has an edge with that high res EVF, same one as the GH2.

3. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    The G3 is not as good GH2, but will still serve you greatly if you don't do a lot of color grading or need manual controls. And if you would like manual aperture control, just get an adapted lens!

To give you an idea of how the G3 fares, here is a video I filmed on a tight schedule for a college journal a few months ago. All on the G3 with a Canon FD 50mm f1.8. This was indoors with medium lighting; judging by the stills I got from the same shoot, the iso should be between 800 and 1600. Since I shot wide open, theres some softness and fringing. But still pretty good performance. The sound is a mix of on-camera and off-camera, I messed up a lot there.

The part I actually filmed starts around 0:27

https://vimeo.com/40133943

Basically, shooting video on the G3 is like shooting JPEGs in P mode for video. If you don't plan on doing professional video, I think you'll be fine.

4. jayhawk92

jayhawk92 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 24, 2012
    I appreciate the replies! The more I read the more I find out that people are really in love with the GH2. So here's my question, if I buy the GH2 with 14-42mm kit, do you need a better lens for the great video quality. Because I can't really afford that. So, would my video be better of with a G3 and spending the $300 difference in price on a nice lens? G3 with upgraded lens or GH2 with 14-42mm kit???

5. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    The GH2 is great because it allows for much better control, but that also requires more work and understanding of how video works. Something most are just not interested in. A lens with good range like the 14-140 is great for family stuff, you're likely to shoot out in daylight for most videos, then make sure you have a decent lowlight lens like the 20/1.7.

6. micz87

micz87 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2012
    EU
  7. jayhawk92

jayhawk92 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 24, 2012
    Thanks this is the stuff I need to know. I know the gh2 is way better than a camcorder, sounds like someone who doesn't know what they're doing might be dissapointed. Sounds like the g3 is a very good option and will even have pretty advanced video capabilities after the hack should I want to explore that.

8. micz87

micz87 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2012
    EU
    I love my G3, it is grat in terms of image/video quality and what is more it is very small and light. I was thinking about GH2 but for me it was closer to DSLR size than to mirrorless camera...