1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

G3 users with the 14-42mm lens question

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by tdekany, Dec 21, 2011.

1. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Hi everyone - if it isn't too much to ask, can you post a zoomed in picture if you have one. I'd like to find out how good of a Macro picture this combo can take.

The camera will be used to take pictures of vintage jewelry for e bay and sometimes the small prints are important to show. Here is an example.

Thank you.

P1000143.

2. griswoldo

griswoldo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2011
    Here are a couple quick shots I took with my G3 and 14-42mm lens, zoomed to 42mm. I don't have any fancy jewelry, but I do have a keyboad and a dumpy pair of scissors! :smile:

I included the lens cap next to the scissors in the second photo to give you some idea of scale. If you wanna see the originals let me know. I just don't feel like waiting for my slow internet connection at the moment. Hope this helps....

Attached Files:

3. Giant bubble guy

Giant bubble guy Mu-43 Regular

Sep 11, 2011
    quarter close up

OOC jpeg. I had to crop and resize this image to enable me to upload it. Further cropping would yield a much closer view of the quarter. The lighting and composition are far from ideal, but it gives a sense of what the g3 and kit lens can do. Lens was zoomed to 42mm, iso was 1600. I hand held the camera, a tripod would have enabled me to use much lower iso. A similar image taken with my 20mm looks much nicer.

Dustin
    quarter_crop.

4. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    I appreciate the responses from both of you. Sitting here looking at my own photo made me just realize something. I asked the wrong question. I was really interested in 4x zoom results. That is how I took my picture.

Should I delete this thread and start another? No wonder there were so few replies.

Truth is, I have been busy with work - but I really wanted to stay home and play with the camera instead. Just too excited and didn't explain myself properly.

Thanks

5. gsnyder87

gsnyder87 New to Mu-43

Dec 19, 2011
    I'm still not sure if you are asking the proper question. Are you coming from a Point and Shoot that tells you your zoom level?

If you want 100% crops of a macro type photo,I'm sure we can provide those.

6. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    I think you are right. In the menu you can turn on DIGITAL ZOOM - 2X or 4X

I can get pretty detailed shots by choosing 4X. However I am still learning and thought some of you experienced photographers can show me what is possible with this setup.

I am interested in the best macro type of picture without crops.

Thank you.

7. dennisk

dennisk Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2011
    Bay Area, California
    Dennis
    The way I look at is that digital zoom is the same as cropping so I never use it and prefer to crop later on the computer.

8. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Thanks for explaining that. I prefer to do it the other way around, that way once the pictures are on our computer, my wife can just upload them to e bay.

Thanks again for your help.

9. gsnyder87

gsnyder87 New to Mu-43

Dec 19, 2011
    <table style="width:auto;"><tr><td><a href="https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/vBJA7T7jrRI8hA1IdXjv-dMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=embedwebsite"> P1010323. "611" width="800" /></a></td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From <a href="https://picasaweb.google.com/105693530622830116972/CameraDump?authuser=0&feat=embedwebsite">camera dump</a></td></tr></table>

<table style="width:auto;"><tr><td><a href="https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/_QDmXJGgGxBeBy1PRY1S6NMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=embedwebsite">[​IMG]"534" width="800" /></a></td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From <a href="https://picasaweb.google.com/105693530622830116972/CameraDump?authuser=0&feat=embedwebsite">camera dump</a></td></tr></table>

the top picture is a uncropped image, and the bottom is a 100% crop.
    so the uncropped image might not be what you want, but when you crop the image, the detail stays the same but you can pick the area you want.

Please don't mind the quality of those photos. I was in poor light, im just demonstrating the operation.

10. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    gsnyder87 - perfect, thank you for going out of your way to do it.

I like the quality.