1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

G3 upgrade for a GF3 User?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by cz9h3d, Jun 5, 2012.

1. cz9h3d

cz9h3d Mu-43 Regular

Jan 18, 2012
    SE Michigan
    Kevin
    Still pretty much a newbie as I'm learning how to use my GF3 with 14-42PZ, 14mm, and 45-200mm. However it has become somewhat difficult to shoot outside in sunlight using just the screen. Can't believe I'm wishing for a viewfinder! Biggest issue has been shooting at kids sporting events.

Anyways.... have a chance at a G3 for about $300 (like new - and white, like my GF3). I am concerned about the additional size - it will be tough for me to part with my GF3 body based on that. And a GX1+EVF sure can't be found for $300!!!

The more I wait, the less likely I seem to be to spend money...

2. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    The G3 is definitely a step up from the GF3. It has a higher resolution sensor, better DR and better high ISO images. It IS bigger but i have always found the G series cameras to be pretty comfortable in hand. The G3 is the smallest of the G/GH series cameras.

• Like Like x 1
  3. rich.smith

rich.smith Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 21, 2011
    I have both. Any chance you can keep both? GF3 for when size is most important. G3 for everything else.

The difference in size is only important (to me) when I want to go without a case. The GF3 fits in many more coat and jacket pockets. If I am taking a case, the G3 is not that much bigger.

checkout camersize.com to compare the two side-by-side

• Like Like x 1
  4. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    FWIW, I have a GF2 and just this past week picked up a used G3, so I'm coming from a similar place. My $0.02... I'm finding myself using the viewfinder all the time now that I have it available. I quite like it even when I don't "need" to use it. Aside from that the G3 has improved low light and IQ performance, and takes the same battery and memory cards as my old camera. The tilt screen has come in handy a couple of times also.

Personally, I've hung onto the GF2 as I can still see using it when I want to throw a pancake lens on it and use it like a point and shoot camera, and I can even carry a different lens on each to avoid lens changes for stuff like travel photography. Best of both worlds, especially given I can't see getting a lot of $ back out of a used GF2 body at this point.

As far as the size if that's your major concern - have you actually tried out the G3 in person? It's still a very small camera for what it is, IMO. Compared to the GF2 what surprised me the most was that the G3 was so close in size. Putting the two side by side, the G3 looks like my GF2 with a viewfinder bolted on the top and a tilt LCD added on the back. Especially if you're using the 45-200mm I doubt it'd be much of an issue. If it'll help I can take comparison pics with my G3 with the 45-200mm mounted and/or side by side with the GF2.

5. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    As a GF1, GH2, G3, GF3, E-PL3, and E-M5 owner... my view is that you will LOVE the G3 and that it is a recommended upgrade for you. I also feel that keeping both is a great idea!

As of today, the image quality right off the sensor produced by the G3 is second to no other m4/3 camera body. Beyond that, the EVF is excellent, the fully articulating screen is extremely helpful and versatile in achieving a wide variety of imaging angles, the grip is good for a small body, the menus are excellent, and the high ISO is wonderful. There are quibbles here and there about all camera body features and form factors, but the G3, while imperfect as all camera bodies ARE, is a superb choice for imaging in the m4/3 format. As a GF3 owner, you will find the G3 a very smooth and wonderful transition.

• Like Like x 1