G3....Triggering off-camera flash

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by Dave in Wales, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    I have an very old, non TTL Sunpak 24SR flashgun which I have used for off-camera with a D7000 for macro.

The flash sits on an optical hot shoe and was triggered by the D7000's pop-up flash.

Can't use this system with a G3 because of the pre-flash.

Will it work (SunPak) with a sync cord that I could later use for a TTL flash if I choose.
    Pixel Compact Version TTL Off-Camera Flash Sync Cord: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Is this particular sync cord any good?
    What other aftermarket sync cord would you recommend?

The OEM cord from Olympus costs an-arm-and-a-leg.

Any advice gratefully received.

D in W
  2. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

A trick that might work is to use the low power setting so the flash can get multiple shots without the need to fully recharge. That way the flash triggers on both pre-flash and the 'real' flash. Tough situation ... newer flashes have a mode/option to ignore the pre-flash. Yongnuo 560 is ~$65 and has such an option.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. littlefish

littlefish Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2011
    Glos., UK
    Back at the end of August, the Pixel was only third party cord I could find. So I bought it. Although I've not taken a lot of images with it, everything seems to sync OK between my G3 and FL360. I might have an old Canon 35mm flash somewhere to test the cord with a non-Panasonic unit. How urgently do you need to make a purchase decision?

SRSMicrosystems sometimes have second hand FL36 / FL360 flashes at quite a discount. Check out the Olympus / Panasonic accessories in the used section.
  4. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    If it's very old, better check the trigger voltage before frying your new camera.

Otherwise, my receommendation would be a wireless setup like pocket wizard.
  5. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
  6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I'm no expert on Panasonic bodies, but can't you just set the camera to manual power? If I'm triggering an optical slave with a pop-up flash, I just set the camera to 1/64th power. No TTL or pre-flash will be involved then.

If you can't do that from your body and want to go wired, the cord you want is NOT TTL. Just use a single contact PC Sync cable, with a Flash Adapter on the flash foot, and a Hotshoe Adapter on the camera shoe. Make sure that Sunpak has a safe trigger voltage level for your camera first though. If not, then replace the Hotshoe Adapter on the camera shoe end with a Safe Sync Adapter which will step down the voltage (but more expensively).
  7. darrenleow

darrenleow Mu-43 Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    Why don't you try one of the Yongnuo or Cactus radio triggers?
  8. FastCorner

FastCorner Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2011
    If you're willing to buy off eBay, I bought an Olympus TTL cable for about $30 USD. Although, if I had to do it again, I probably would have bought a wireless trigger instead.
  9. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    I'd just buy radio triggers - no over-voltage worries, and no cables trailing from the camera to flash, which is horrible to work with anyway....