1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

G3-So far I'm liking what I'm seeing

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by dcisive, Jul 19, 2011.

1. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    I just charged up the battery, ran it on large Jpg at ISO160 and slapped on the 45-200OIS. I'd say I'm gonna like that lens once again. Had one before with a PL1 and it sure delivered. I have a 100-300 coming tomorrow. Aside from the kit lens will add a 20mm f1.7 and be done with it. I might add that little Metz 24 flash as well. Here's a sample of Lone Peak shot outside my front yard. All I did was take it into Lightroom and sharpen it a tad. I like what comes right out of the camera. I'm using the Vivid setting here as well. My wife loves the vivid colors of her flowers ;-) As they say so far so good. More testing needed, but this is a good start. I provided a link to the full sized image as well if you really want to see some serious detail. The detail retention on this sensor nearly rivals my D7000, and I wasn't expecting that for sure. It will make a perfect travel and out and about camera for sure. The link BELOW the picture is the full sized image in all it's glory if you have high speed internet take a look.

the full sized image is here at
    LonePeak 1 of 1.jpg photo - Lee Rothman photos at pbase.com

• Like Like x 6
  2. G1 User

G1 User Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 20, 2010
    Nice Photo,
    Yes the G3 can record BIG TIME detail... I was also pleased at the detail it can pick up.

Post more!!

3. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Keep posting and giving your feels because it is interesting to see what the G3 can do.

4. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    I'm at work, but my wife just informed me my 100-300 just arrived via the brown truck :biggrin: I'll be playing with that tonight for sure. Nice clear day to play. I had a chance to work with it a bit more last night mostly with the kit lens. Indoors unless you have some half way decent light it's a challenge to get a sharp pic. Upping the ISO makes that happen. Fortunately with the extraordinary ISO performance you dont' take the hit you would expect. I AM probably going to opt for the new Olympus FL300R flash however. it needs more power to light up a darker room efficiently. Wish they made it in black, but that's not a big deal really. Also going to order that 20mm f1.7 next week as for low light indoors that's pretty much the way to make it happen.

5. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I just took the 14 because it was at a nice price point. Looking for a 20 when I find it cheap. In the meantime I'll try to use my fast 50's legacy glass, when the adaptors come. I already now the Nikon has come and very anxious to use it with my 50/1.8 ais.

6. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Ok, first time with a Panasonic body :smile: and I have a question:

When using a legacy lens, should I really set "Shoot without Lens" to On, or should it be really Off and I am just doing something wrong?

Thanks.

7. JohnMetsn

JohnMetsn Mu-43 Veteran

Yep, that's the way.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Diane B

Diane B Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2010
    I'm very happy with my brown G3 which I've had for about 3+ weeks. Yesterday I carried it all day with my Y strap over my Lowepro Terra Clime with 2 additional lenses. I hardly knew I was carrying it. I've spent time working out exactly what I need for setup and now am quite comfortable shooting with my Fn buttons, Q menu and custom settings. Handling is fine with smaller grip (I have a G1 and GF1 which I shoot with much less because of auc. EVF and basically no grip) and all in all glad I decided to order instead of the GH2.

Diane