1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

G3-So far I'm liking what I'm seeing

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by dcisive, Jul 19, 2011.

1. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    I just charged up the battery, ran it on large Jpg at ISO160 and slapped on the 45-200OIS. I'd say I'm gonna like that lens once again. Had one before with a PL1 and it sure delivered. I have a 100-300 coming tomorrow. Aside from the kit lens will add a 20mm f1.7 and be done with it. I might add that little Metz 24 flash as well. Here's a sample of Lone Peak shot outside my front yard. All I did was take it into Lightroom and sharpen it a tad. I like what comes right out of the camera. I'm using the Vivid setting here as well. My wife loves the vivid colors of her flowers ;-) As they say so far so good. More testing needed, but this is a good start. I provided a link to the full sized image as well if you really want to see some serious detail. The detail retention on this sensor nearly rivals my D7000, and I wasn't expecting that for sure. It will make a perfect travel and out and about camera for sure. The link BELOW the picture is the full sized image in all it's glory if you have high speed internet take a look.

View attachment 170426

the full sized image is here at
    LonePeak 1 of 1.jpg photo - Lee Rothman photos at pbase.com

• Like Like x 6
  2. G1 User

G1 User Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 20, 2010
    Nice Photo,
    Yes the G3 can record BIG TIME detail... I was also pleased at the detail it can pick up.

Post more!!

3. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Keep posting and giving your feels because it is interesting to see what the G3 can do.

4. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    I'm at work, but my wife just informed me my 100-300 just arrived via the brown truck :biggrin: I'll be playing with that tonight for sure. Nice clear day to play. I had a chance to work with it a bit more last night mostly with the kit lens. Indoors unless you have some half way decent light it's a challenge to get a sharp pic. Upping the ISO makes that happen. Fortunately with the extraordinary ISO performance you dont' take the hit you would expect. I AM probably going to opt for the new Olympus FL300R flash however. it needs more power to light up a darker room efficiently. Wish they made it in black, but that's not a big deal really. Also going to order that 20mm f1.7 next week as for low light indoors that's pretty much the way to make it happen.

5. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I just took the 14 because it was at a nice price point. Looking for a 20 when I find it cheap. In the meantime I'll try to use my fast 50's legacy glass, when the adaptors come. I already now the Nikon has come and very anxious to use it with my 50/1.8 ais.

6. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Ok, first time with a Panasonic body :smile: and I have a question:

When using a legacy lens, should I really set "Shoot without Lens" to On, or should it be really Off and I am just doing something wrong?

Thanks.

7. JohnMetsn

JohnMetsn Mu-43 Veteran

Yep, that's the way.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Diane B

Diane B Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2010
    I'm very happy with my brown G3 which I've had for about 3+ weeks. Yesterday I carried it all day with my Y strap over my Lowepro Terra Clime with 2 additional lenses. I hardly knew I was carrying it. I've spent time working out exactly what I need for setup and now am quite comfortable shooting with my Fn buttons, Q menu and custom settings. Handling is fine with smaller grip (I have a G1 and GF1 which I shoot with much less because of auc. EVF and basically no grip) and all in all glad I decided to order instead of the GH2.

Diane

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.