G3 Quick Menu + Touch Screen -- help or hindrance?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by LudwigVB, Mar 12, 2013.

1. LudwigVB

LudwigVB Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 14, 2012
    I find my G3's Q Menu a bit peculiar, to be honest. I can't decide whether it helps or just adds even more confusion to negotiating the G3 menu maze. Coupled with the touch screen, it seems to offer an odd mixture of convenience and inconvenience: for some things you can use the touch screen, for others you can't. I should add that I'm not exactly dextrous with the 4-way arrow keys, so I dread having to use them.

I'd appreciate any opinions/observations/suggestions on how to make the most of the G3, from a control and ergonomic perspective. Thanks in advance.
  2. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    I personally like the quick menu, but I still haven't settled on what options I want on it. I do like having a way to easily access some settings, since the menus are pretty long to page through to find settings. I have changed what's in the quick menu and rearranged it from the default, but I can't list what's in there right now, I don't have the camera with me. I know that I took functions that are assigned to the 4 way off of the quick menu (don't need that redundancy) and added in some others. I want to access controls quickly, but I don't need many ways to get to the same things.

As for making the most of a G3, a big thing for me has been to make use of the C1 and C2 settings on the mode dial. I do a good bit of manual flash shooting, so I have C2-1 set for M mode, flash white balance, ISO 160 and a number of other settings that I use with off-camera remote flash. I can just turn the dail to C2 (and make sure I'm still at C2-1) and I'm ready to go. I plan to configure C2-2 for HDR bracketing. C1 is my general use setting with A mode, auto WB, auto ISO, etc. That's my general shooting setting.

I'm still working on all of this, I've only had my camera since December, and I'm still learning the Panasonic way.
  3. RAC

RAC New to Mu-43

Jan 20, 2013
    Rick Church
    I find one of the best things about the G3 is the LCD that folds in to protect the screen. That also activates the EVF, which I use most of the time. So the touch screen is not a big deal for my usage.

I do find the touch shutter a somewhat useful feature. When you are at an odd angle and you need to take a snap, the focus/shutter touch does pretty well.

The G3 is a well featured small body camera, which also happens to have a touch screen. I can live with it either way. :thumbup:

4. Al.

Al. Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
    I like the quick menu, but not the touch screen, so use the 4 way controller, find it more positive
  5. Photodan1

Photodan1 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    Nashville, Tennessee, USA
    I like the Q menu. Since I shoot both Pany's and Oly's, the SCP and Q menus are enough alike that it gives some continuity.