1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

G3 Queries (from an Olympus guy)

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by phigmov, Oct 27, 2012.

1. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Hopefully the esteemed members can help with a few queries on my new G3.

Background - I've had an E-P1 for about two years, added an E-PM1 last year and had been hunting for an EVF for a few months. However, just recently a G3 body came on the market for not much more than a VF-2, so I snapped it up.

Pro's - loving the EVF, tilty-swively screen & extra megapixels !
    Con's - interface is lame, rarely use the touch-screen, shutter sounds tinny, metering seems hinky, ergonomics aren't great (even compared to an E-PM1 which I found surprising)

So, onto the questions -

1. My Olys automatically switch on when I plug into a computer to download images - anyway to set this on the G3 ? Its a minor thing but its kind of handy.

2. How have people configured their buttons and C1/C2 (I miss my scroll wheel and SCP) ?

3. I use iPhoto and a fairly simple RAW workflow (enhance & crop is about it) - however the enhance feature seems to behave more inconsistently compared to the Oly RAW files. Any tips on an optimal Panasonic RAW workflow ?

4. Any way to get the 'pinpoint' focus function with non-native lenses to save a button press (ie a half-touch of the shutter release brings up a zoomed view) ?

Other than that I'm enjoying the camera a lot - the EVF makes using a MF lens much nicer. Most of the time I'm keeping the 20mm on G3 and 45mm on the Oly - they both fit into my left/right jacket pockets with relative ease.

If anyone has any additional G3 (or Panasonic cameras in general) tips I'd appreciate hearing them.

2. martyvis

martyvis New to Mu-43

Jan 7, 2012
    1. My Olys automatically switch on when I plug into a computer to download images - anyway to set this on the G3 ? Its a minor thing but its kind of handy.

> I don't think you can - I prefer to pop the SD into a reader

2. How have people configured their buttons and C1/C2 (I miss my scroll wheel and SCP) ?

> I have the Q menu on Fn2 and Exposure/Focus lock on Fn1. C2 is set for Portrait

3. I use iPhoto and a fairly simple RAW workflow (enhance & crop is about it) - however the enhance feature seems to behave more inconsistently compared to the Oly RAW files. Any tips on an optimal Panasonic RAW workflow ?

> I use Lightroom

4. Any way to get the 'pinpoint' focus function with non-native lenses to save a button press (ie a half-touch of the shutter release brings up a zoomed view) ?

> Just push the scroll wheel in
    Other than that I'm enjoying the camera a lot - the EVF makes using a MF lens much nicer. Most of the time I'm keeping the 20mm on G3 and 45mm on the Oly - they both fit into my left/right jacket pockets with relative ease.

> The 20mm F/1.7 is on my wish list. Have you any comparisons of the kit lens at 20mm and say F/5.6 and the prime?

• Like Like x 1
  3. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Thanks for the info.

No comparison I'm afraid. Since getting the primes (I picked up the 17, 20 and 45 relatively quickly) I rarely used the kit zoom.

Its not to say they're bad, they just don't suit my style of shooting.

4. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I have the upper one usually set to focus mode to quickly change from AF to MF and the lower one set to Q.Menu. IMHO, SCP was Olympus' (late) attempt at emulating the Panny Q.Menu. Take some time to set it up how you like, and I think you will find it as good or better than the SCP.

Pinpoint is an AF mode. The magnified view is called Focus Assist I believe. As mentioned above, you can click the thumbwheel to activate and spinning the wheel changes the magnification.

• Like Like x 1