G3, pinpoint focus issue

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Sugarman, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Sugarman

Sugarman Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2011
    Hi everyone.

I have spent some time here today reading through threads about the G3 (which I acquired about 6 weeks ago) and also the Oly 45 f1.8 (which I hope to acquire VERY shortly).

On the whole, I am very impressed by the G3 indeed. I haven't touched on half it's capabilities yet and must admit I am a little guilty of transferring my G1 habits to the new camera. That's one of the reasons why up until today I haven't used the pinpoint focus feature.

One thing that I have got used to (and pleasantly so) is the very rapid focus on the G3. However, today with the pinpoint focus I wasn't ready for the instant enlargement of the focus area and there seemed to be a minor lag once I had chosen the focus point before I snapped. I have only tried this on the Panny 20mm f1.7 so far.

For most of the shots I took there was no problem as they were stills. However, when my cats wandered into view (unable to stay still, of course), that "lag" of a split second was enough for them to be able to move out of focus.

My question is if this is a standard reaction with the pinpoint focus system. I could possibly have my settings incorrect or it may be the 20mm adjustment.

I would appreciate some feedback on the question.

many thanks

Joe

2. sevenil

sevenil Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2011
    FWIW - I've also found the pinpoint focus to delay from time to time, I assume when it's hunting for an edge on which to focus. I've gone to using the center weighted focus which I find snaps on very quickly. I'm guessing that the pinpoint comes more into it's own for static portrait subjects where you can focus on an eye, and instant focusing is not so much of an issue.
    However, that's just the impression of a recent user, I'll let the more experienced users chip in with a more reasoned response.