1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

G3 Pausing & editing questions

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by f8andbethere, Aug 12, 2012.

1. f8andbethere

f8andbethere Mu-43 Regular

I just started using my new-to-me G3. I set the video to iA and let her rip. I am impressed with the quality. Is it possible to pause the recording and then resume? Which then brings me to the editing question. Can I cut out portions of the video? Also, if I cannot pause during recording, can I merge two videos into one?

I remember years ago when I could take my 8mm movie camera and do some cutting and splicing during the editing process. Is there some software that can perform these functions?

2. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Yes, any video software will do this easily. Windows Movie Maker is easy to use and free, but not very powerful. Adobe Premier is very powerful, but easy to get lost in all the options.

• Like Like x 1
  3. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Adobe also sells a downscale version of Premiere called Premiere Elements, often found bundled with Photoshop Elements, an excellent photo editor and so-so organizing tool.

4. f8andbethere

I have Elements 9, but I don't think it does much in the way of video editing does it?

5. crsnydertx

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements are two different products. Photoshop Elements is for stills; Premiere Elements is for videos.

I'm guessing you have Photoshop Elements 9....?

6. f8andbethere

I misspoke. I actually have PSE9 as well as Premier Elements 7, and so I should be good to go.

• Like Like x 1
  7. crsnydertx

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Looks like you're ready to get into videography!! :smile:

p.s. There's an excellent forum to handle your Premiere Elements and Photoshop Elements questions at www.elementsvillage.com. Very welcoming group - much like this one!

8. f8andbethere

Thanks, I can see where the video might come in handy. Do you know if the G3 allows one to pause the video and temporarily stop the recording?

9. crsnydertx

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    I really don't know, but I think it's simply begin and end for each clip. Then in post-processing you can link the individual clips.

p.s. Just checked the manual. Only references to "pause" are in segments on playback.

10. f8andbethere

Yep, that's the only "pause" reference I could find. Now that I know that I can "splice" them together in post that will be a big help. I'll have to practice that.

11. crsnydertx

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Yes, the splices will wind up being smooth transitions, fades, etc. when you learn the basics. Have fun!!

12. MartinOcando

MartinOcando Mu-43 Regular

Apr 3, 2012
    Panama
    Remember that this is not a tape camcorder, in which you needed to keep the tape spooled around the head to have seamless pauses, or to quickly resume recording. Simply stop the clip, and start another when you are ready. Then join them together in PP as mentioned.