1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

G3 or Olympus ep-3

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Empireme, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Empireme

Empireme Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2011
    LA, CA
    I'm having issues with my current EP-3 with the LCD screen. The thread can be found here https://www.mu-43.com/f42/returning-my-second-e-p3-same-problem-15685/

And so I've been thinking about returning my camera for a Panasonic G3. From my brief search online, it seems like the G3 is the equivalent model to the EP3 (and the GF3 and the epl-3 are in the lower division.) Without discussing IBIS, which camera would you recommend?

2. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    If you've decided that the EP3 has an incompatibility with what you're trying to do and the environment you're trying to do it in, it sounds like an easy call, no?

If THAT's not a deal breaker, to me it largely comes down to whether you want a constantly available EVF. If yes, the G3 is an easy call. If no, then the EP3 is the better choice IF you can solve the problem you're having with the lights.

I prefer the EP3 but that's mostly because I greatly prefer a part time EVF that I can remove for the majority of the time I'm not using it. That might have nothing to do with you. So I can't vote - they're both great cameras without a whole lot between their capabilities. Its more of a personal preference type thing and yours are all that matter.

-Ray

3. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    For the G3, I love the articulating LCD screen which makes composing and shooting from many different camera positions very easy.

In addition, the touch screen for selecting focus point as well as tripping the shutter is very useful at times.

And I like that the eye level finder is always there when needed; I prefer to not have to carry that as a separate attachment.

I also like the customizable quick menu feature and panasonics user interface/menu structure... very well designed.

High iso IQ is pretty good on the G3... I'm not sure if the ep-3 sensor is quite as clean at high iso.

The two cameras are generally comparable in image quality and focus speed.

Lastly, the G3 is very reasonably priced. I dont understand why the ep-3 is so danged expensive?

4. Empireme

Empireme Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2011
    LA, CA
    I guess I'm just a little upset that my camera is having problems and I just want to make the best purchase decision possible and I'm using this as an opportunity to re-evaluate my purchase. As all of you do, I just want the best value in my purchases and the peace of mind that comes with it.

5. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I understand your frustration with the, as Ray said well, compatibility issue with the E-P3 and your shooting environment. You may want to buy a G3 from a vendor with a liberal return policy, so that you can make sure the same thing does not happen. Maybe going from an OLED screen to an LCD screen on the G3 will make a difference.

6. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Or you may even consider E-PL3 which has a different screen

7. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I own a G3 and it's pretty darn good. :smile:

Saying that, I'd love to own an E-P3!

8. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    The G3 sensor is also a generation newer.

9. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    That was the main thing that led me to the G3. The 16mp is really an improvement on top of Panasonic's improved image processing. That alone was a major consideration.

10. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

It's really not your screen. It's the odd lights in your office as has been discussed here at length.

11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Actually, I would consider the GH-2 to be a more equivalent model to the E-P3. At least, the E-P3 with VF-2 viewfinder and EMA-1 mic adapter (both of which will come built in with the GH2).

12. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    I say g3 is better all around price and features if you dont mind the shape.

We can always swap for a week, if you miss the oly. :smile:

13. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I say E-PL3 and save the change for the 45mm ƒ1.8 :cool:

14. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I wonder if the G3 was shaped more like the NEX-7 if it would get more love? :confused:

15. playak47

playak47 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 4, 2010

It would get more love for sure.

I still haven't figured out which body is better for me though.

16. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    GF7 to the rescue?

17. Empireme

Empireme Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2011
    LA, CA
    I bit the the bullet for a third time and purchased the Panasonic GH2 and never turning back.

Thanks fellas for all your help. And when I do miss the Oly, I'll hit you up Twan!

18. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    Ballin'! Congrats Scott!

Looking forward to some nice vids too. :smile:

19. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    They're both nice. I like the built-in EVF and articulating LCD (as some others have mentioned). As a tool both are quite competent and it really depends on what you want out of a camera as they really take very different approaches to creating a small high quality interchangeable lens camera. I myself rather like the mini DSLR form factor and the cheaper price of the G3 so that would be my choice. That said, I can certainly understand why someone would prefer the E-P3.

FWIW I don't think the E-P3 and the G3 are analogous to one another. The G3 is a middle range camera and the E-P3 is a top end camera. I suppose the GH2 would be Panasonic's current top end model. I would expect that we will be seeing a GH3 at some point in the near future and that it would be a more direct competitor to the E-P3.

It all comes down to what you want form your camera.

20. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    This can be challenging, because the two companies do not have identical approaches to the camera ranges. Personally, I do regard the EP3 and G3 as on about the same level, with the two companies having taken very different approaches to a camera at that level. I feel the GH2 is currently in a class of its own in the M4/3 world, with no direct competitor in terms of all-round functionality and quality of output. It is aimed more directly at competing with the DSLR market.