1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

G3 or G5 for holiday use?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by henryrym, Feb 26, 2013.

1. henryrym

henryrym Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 6, 2010
    I'm sure the G3 and G5 have been compared on this forum before, my question concerns using these cameras on holiday and will I see any difference in use and /or results.

I'm aware of ergonomic and LCD display differences and aren't too bothered by them.

I'm wondering if owners of both cameras can comment on these aspects for me as the G3 is considerably cheaper.

1 Is the G5 EVF better/brighter/bigger than the G3?

2 Are there any diffences in AF speed/accuracy.

3 Used at base ISO can I expect to see any differences in JPEG quality? I'm imagining that RAWs will be very similar at base/near base ISO.

Thanks in advance
    Henry

2. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    1 Is the G5 EVF better/brighter/bigger than the G3?
    The EVF are the same

2 Are there any diffences in AF speed/accuracy.
    The G5 AF is faster but the G3 will not slow you down by much

3 Used at base ISO can I expect to see any differences in JPEG quality? I'm imagining that RAWs will be very similar at base/near base ISO.
    The ISO performance at low ISO is the same. The JPG engine in the G5 has been improved, but I suggest to shot in RAW+JPG in order to the best IQ when needed.

• Like Like x 1
  3. dwrk

dwrk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2012
    the optics for the evf is different...i wear glassess and i find the g5 slightly better

the info "overlay" is also different...the g5 is more natural/rounded...g3 is jagged