1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

G3 or EPL2?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by meggie t, Jan 19, 2012.

1. meggie t

meggie t Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2012
    Hi All,

I am new to the forum and about to get my first :43: camera. I have done exhaustive research and just need a push to pull the trigger on one of these cameras. I know both are great and I am sure I won't regret either, but I just want to make sure!

Uses: 99% of my pics are of my 20 month old son. I currently have a Panny FZ35 and frankly, it isn't doing the job these days. My son used to be such an easy subject but now he goes so quickly that I lose a majority of the shots.

I don't do much after the fact processing, with the exception of some minor tweaking in iPhoto. So, I shoot in JPEG.

I keep the camera pretty much in aperture priority 99% of the time.

Here is the clincher: I have been using the EVF exclusively since taking a few photog classes last year. So, does this really seal the deal on a G3?

Budget is about $750-800. I really want to get a 20mm, as well as a camera and a kit lens. This budget most likely puts the Oly VF out of reach, I assume.

Any swaying one way or the other would be appreciated!!

Meggie T

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Your budget should allow you to purchase the E-PL2, VF-2 or VF-3, and Lumix 20mm f/1.7. You'll just have to shop around carefully and maybe buy some parts used. In fact, I just looked on Amazon and the G3 is selling for $120 more than the E-PL2, so that makes up for most of the purchase of a VF-2 or VF-3 right there.

One member had an E-PL2, VF-2, and Lumix 14mm f/2.5 for sale recently: https://www.mu-43.com/f17/e-pl2-kit-lens-vf-2-14mm-2-5-a-17855/
    The body and lens are sold, but the VF-2 is still available for $180. That's about the same price as a new VF-3, but I would personally pick a used VF-2 over a new VF-3.

3. meggie t

meggie t Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2012
    Thanks, Ned. I have been scouring the sites, including this forum, for a good deal. The EPL2 seems to be about $450 at this time. Maybe I should wait for a used one? Will keep an eye out!

4. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Have you considered the E-PM1? I have both the E-PM1 and E-PL2, and you'll probably want the faster AF of the E-PM1. I use both the shoot my 16 month old baby, and the E-PM1 is much more responsive to chase little ones. I only use the E-PL2 now as a back-up, usually mounted to my 12mm f/2 for wide angle shots and my E-PM1 mounted to the 45mm 1.8.

The G3 is also nice, but for my needs I much prefer the Olympus bodies for kid shooting. I had a G3 and the Olympus metering won me over, especially if you're shooting in different lighting. The G3 does better high ISO though. :smile:

5. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Meggie, depending on where you're located,you may also want to check out the refurbished E-PL2 kits on the B&H Photo website. That's how I bought mine; very pleased with it!

6. meggie t

meggie t Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2012
    Thank you for your input, Jonathan. Funny - I was just looking at the EPM1. My only issue is how small it is! I have fairly large hands and am concerned with handling. I saw a GF3 today and it was too small for me. I didn't find it comfortable, and it has a little bit of a grip. The EPM1 doesn't look like it has any grip. I am going to try and get to a store tomorrow without my son so I can take a little more time with the Oly options. I have held a G3, so I am comfortable with that option thus far.

7. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yeah the E-PL2 and G3 have a better grip. Many of us with the E-PM1 either use a Franiec grip, half cases with grips or our own custom solution! For the price/performance ratio, the E-PM1 is hard to beat!

8. meggie t

meggie t Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2012
    Thanks, Chuck. I am in San Francisco, so I couldn't go to B&H in person but I would feel comfortable ordering from them. I just took a look and the refurbished prices aren't that different from new! About a $50-75 difference, depending on color. But they do have a kit with the standard kit lens and a 40-150 for $479. Not sure if that is a good deal and not sure I need the 40-150. Hmmm...

9. meggie t

meggie t Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2012
    Jonathan, that Franiec grip is cool! Thanks for sharing. I will keep that in mind.

10. VasManI

VasManI Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2011
    All of the current Olympus m43 offerings are essentially repackaged E-P1 cameras, unlike Panasonic cameras (including the G3) that have better sensor and slightly more features. Out of the box, Olympus will produce better JPEGs, but if you set it up correctly, Panasonic will produce same quality images. Until Olympus comes out with a true "new" camera, I wouldn't even consider any of their current offerings.

11. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Not true. The sensor is the same, but the latest gen Pens have better AF, faster art filters and rock solid AWB. Not might sound like much, but when all added up I'd much rather get a $399 E-PM1 than any other Pen camera. I came from the G3 to the E-PM1/E-PL2 and I didn't think the new sensor was all that great when other aspects of the camera were lacking (so-so metering, bland colors, etc).

12. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    I went the other way: I ditched the disappointing G3 in favor of the E-P3 and E-PM1. No regrets!

13. meggie t

meggie t Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2012
    Thanks everyone! I will definitely take a look at the Oly offerings tomorrow and see how they feel. Then to find a deal! I wish I had looked at all this before Christmas so I could get a good deal but oh well.

14. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I also have both E-PL2 and E-PM1. Unless you plan shooting with legacy lenses (MF), E-PM1 is much better choice in every way. Only two cons: bundled flash can't bounce unlike E-PL2's built-in flash and IBIS is unusable. Everything else is superb: dramatically improved AWB (this alone makes images look so much better), much faster AF (except with Panny 20 - no difference here), much faster art filter processing, fantastic 5.5fps burst mode with fast buffer clear up, better buid quality (all metal and slick), full HD video, better LCD quality (contrast ratio), significantly smaller and lighter.

15. meggie t

meggie t Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2012
    Wow, Art! Thanks for all that great info! I have been leaning more towards the EPL2 but I might have to reconsider. I don't have any legacy lenses. This is my first foray into "DSLR" territory. I am coming from a Panny FZ35.

I don't use flash much, if at all (I can't remember the last time I used it). I will be using the 20mm, so I guess that is a wash. Hopefully I can try them both out tomorrow and see how they feel.

Thanks again!

16. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I definitely vote against the PL2, it's just not fast enough to get good, focused photos of a tiny kid running around. G3 or PM1...

17. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    a lot of folks here like the E-PL2... :biggrin:

18. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hahahaah I am one of them ..I own this right since my childhood ...
    Here is the proof Dave ..:rofl:
    See how happy I am with my EPL2 ..hahaahh

IMG_2786.

19. meggie t

meggie t Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2012
    Yes, I have noticed a lot of love for the PL2! Seems like a great camera.

Promit, thanks for your input. I am going to check put the PM1 today. Now that I looked at the grip options, definitely makes it more feasible for me.

20. meggie t

meggie t Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2012
    So just an update to let you know that I am more confused than ever! I went today and was able to hold/try out the EPM1, GF3 and G3. I wasn't able to hold an EPL2.

All I can say is INFORMATION OVERLOAD!!!! I am torn. I decided I can live without the VF if need be. But I can't decide if I can live without a built in flash, even though I can't remember the last time I used one. This will be my main camera.

Maybe I should decide by price?? Here are the stats:

EPL2 (used) - kit for $350; in like new condition
    EPM1 - with 14-42mm kit for $448
    GF3 - with 14mm and 14-42mm kit for $579
    GF3 - with 14-42mm kit for $459
    G3 - with 14-42mm kit for $579

The guy at Calumet said he would go for the GF3 with 14mm, but only if I start shooting RAW. If not, go with Oly - mind you, he only showed me an E3, which was nice but way out of budget.

With any of the above, I will be getting the 20mm. Ugh. I need to stop researching!!

Any thoughts appreciated!

Meggie T