G3 or 20mm?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by merazzauk, Aug 24, 2011.

1. merazzauk

merazzauk New to Mu-43

Aug 23, 2011
    Hi,

I'm new here... Great site by the way!!

I have a question that I would like your opinions on. I currently own a Panny G2, 14-42mm and 45-200mm. I am thinking of either upgrading to a G3 OR buying the 20mm 1.7 for my G2.

Which would you consider the best option?

Cheers, Gary

2. dayou14

dayou14 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2011
    Dear Gary,

Sell your 14-42 and buy a 20 F1.7. If you can, get the 25mm 1.4. These two lenses are in a different class and you will enjoy it very much. Since I got my 25mm 1.4, my 20 1.7 has been sitting around, but I'm not going to sell it. It's that good. I will mate it with a RF type body down the line. IMHO, the G3 is a great camera but for your photo-dollars, the greater bang for the buck would be the new lens.

Bian

3. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Hey Gary ... I am especially fond of the G3 because it has this big 'G' on the body (works for you too). In fact I think all cameras should come with a big 'G'. The big 'G' notwithstanding, go for the 20mm. While the G3 is a superb camera, the 20mm will deliver low light images which are unattainable with your zooms. Sharp, low-noise, available light images, an entire new genre of photography will open up for you.

Gary

1244307914_WUPjG-M-2.

4. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    That's one of my least favorite features. :tongue:

Except when focusing ... oh, wait, you meant image noise. :wink:

5. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    GGGGGGG,

Buy the 20 1.7 now and wait watch the price of the G3 fall as it gets replaced by the G4...

6. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Agree with John, always add a lens over upgrading a camera body. Your G2 would probably only fetch about $250 right now - wait 6 months and you'll still get around $200, while the G3 will probably be going in the neighborhood of $400 instead of $600 (and will drop further if you wait until the replacement model). Basically if you upgrade the body now it'll cost you around $350, be patient and the upgrade will be in the neighborhood of $200.

7. daimos

daimos Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 23, 2010
    Ottawa,Ontario,Canada
    richard
    i also vote lens. :2thumbs:

8. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    20mm definitely.. a "must-have" lens for the system.

9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Get the lens.

10. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I nearly gave up on m4/3 and then I bought that lens. It's like an entirely new system, and that is NOT an exaggeration. I still think about selling my extra body and my 2 zoom lenses I just rarely use them.

But that 20mm is something special. The G3 is a nice body, but it will just be replaced by another one. The lens will likely never be bested.

11. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    20mm is magic! Buying a new camera will not be as fun as that lens.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App

12. merazzauk

merazzauk New to Mu-43

Aug 23, 2011
    Thanks for all the advice... The lens it is then!!

13. marz

marz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2011
    Pyrenees, France
    Marcel
    I'd go for the lens too

14. merazzauk

merazzauk New to Mu-43

Aug 23, 2011
    Lens purchased and going on the camera tonight!!!!

I will get the G3 (or maybe the GH2) at a later date...

Thanks for all the advice...

Gary

15. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Good call - when the used prices come down, pick up a G3 to pair the 20mm with - a great lens with a great camera!

16. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Good Luck and Good Shooting

G

17. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    No one said buy the Camera, LOL

18. John Bourne

John Bourne Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 30, 2011
    The G3 is not a clear upgrade from the G2. In many respects the G2 is a better camera. The 20mm f1.7 is definitely worth considering. Its a very good fast normal lens. Good for low light good for general photography and good as part of a light go-anywhere system.

Camera bodies come and go quickly. Its really not worth upgrading more than once every third generation (maybe longer with Panasonic) Good lenses are a longer term investment and will be current for far longer.

19. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I voted with my wallet and bought the G3 ... but then, I already had the 20/1.7 LOL ...

20. playak47

playak47 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 4, 2010
    Great advice by everyone but i like paul's explanation. I have come to same conclusion. I want to upgrade my e-pl1 but not to brand new body when prices keep going down every six months. So I rather spend money on lenses that will hold their value and get the body few months later. But the hard part is not having the newest tech, I am learning to control myself. Its more about the photographer than the gear anyway right?. :thumbup: