1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

G3: Opening .rw2 files with PSE 8?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by markus, Jan 8, 2012.

1. markus

markus Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 28, 2011
    I've been running Photoshop Elements 8 and am pretty happy with it, haven't really seen a reason to upgrade to 9 or 10.

Problem is the raw file converter that is part of PSE 8 is older so it doesn't recognize the newer Panasonic G3 .rw2 files. I found an updated version of the raw converter on Adobe's website but it won't download/install with Elements on my laptop.

So - has anyone been able to get an older version of Elements to open the .rw2 files? Or do I need to upgrade?

Instead of asking ridiculous questions, I'd like to get around to sharing some pix and adding value to the forum - I think I have some good ones in there just waiting to get out!

Thanks....
    - Mark

2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    You need ACR 6.3 or newer for G3 support, but 6.3 will only work with PSE 10.

Probably the easiest workaround is to get the latest version of Adobe DNG Converter (free download), and convert the RW2 files to DNG format with it. Those DNGs should work with PSE 8.

DH

3. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    I believe G3 support didn't come along until ACR 6.5. Minor quibble, as 6.5 will not work directly with Elements 8; requires Elements 9 or 10. I have 9, but I avoid the limitation by using Lightroom 3.6 as the "front end" of my post-processing.

4. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    Have a look around the web. There are lots of free raw converters out there without paying Adobe's "upgrade tax". What OS are you using?

5. runner girl

runner girl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 26, 2011
    Dumb question... But where does silkypix fit into this?

6. 00r101

00r101 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2012
    Good question.

SilkyPix will do raw conversion as well as raw processing. And the copy that came with G3 will certainly convert its RW2 files. So that's an option for the OP. He could load the RW2 file in SilkyPix, make changes there if desired, develop (convert and apply changes) and end up with a JPEG (or possibly a TIFF for lossless). Then he could be finished or do more PP in PSE 8