1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

G3 - Not Quite Infinity

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Cruzan80, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Hey All,

I was messing around with trying to range in some of the adapted lenses that I have, and put on the kit lens so as to get an accurate comparison. Comparison by using that little bar that moves across on the screen.

When I went to try and infinity focus, I noticed that it was actually fairly blurry until I backed it off just a bit. The targets I was looking at were easily 1/2 mile or more away. Is this normal, or is it something wrong with the camera or lens?

I don't have another native lens to put on and try to see if it is the body or lens exactly. I don't know if I need to update the firmware of either, and not sure exactly how to do so, if I do. Thanks!

2. andyph

andyph New to Mu-43

Sep 21, 2012
    Alas, hard infinity stops are a thing of the past. It is quite common for modern lenses to focus past infinity (I believe this is due to the optical properties of the lens being altered with temperature, but I could be wrong). So no, nothing wrong with your lens or camera.

3. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    From memory, fluorite elements behave that way. All Canon L lenses have them.

4. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    I doubt that this screen indicator's accuracy is good enough to rely on it for critical focussing. I've always seen it as a rough indicator, but maybe I'm not doing it justice :smile:.

5. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Agreed on the indicator's accuracy overall. Just expected more of a "hard stop" at infinity, since there are all kinds of "problem adapters" for older lenses, that focus past. Or is it a newer thing with this issue, and older ones had more of a "hard stop" when at the correct register distance?

6. andyph

andyph New to Mu-43

Sep 21, 2012
    It not just micro 4/3 lenses with this - you try a typical Nikon DSLR kit zoom and you'll find it can manually focus way past infinity.

The adapter situation is slightly different - it seems more to do with the manufacturer incapable of producing one that's the correct register distance (I have SLR lenses with a hard stop that go past infinity when mounted on that {cheap, chinese} adapter)