G3 - NO Power

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by runner girl, Aug 4, 2012.

1. runner girl

runner girl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 26, 2011
    Used my G3 this AM - no problem. Then went back to use it again a few hours later and the on light blinked once then no power - I thought maybe it was a dead battery. I inserted a new charged battery and it went on ONCE, then tried to turn it back on - black display and only a few green blinks as I pressed the shutter, then nothing. It was rather hot and humid today but I can't imagine that was the issue.

Any suggestions? It is under warranty but I really don't want to send it into Panasonic unless I really need to - the last time I sent a camera for repair, it took six weeks or more for it to be returned.
  2. runner girl

Nov 26, 2011
    Upon further troubleshooting.... It looks like there is an issue with the lens mount (trying a couple of lenses) - i had to mount and re-mount in order to get the camera to work and now after a couple of test shots the sensor seems to be stuck closed - the black covering over it when I remove the lens. The camera is powered on - info shows on the display but otherwise it is black and I can't take any shots.
  3. greyelm

greyelm Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2010
    If you can get to the menu do a reset and see if this helps. If you can't do a reset remove the battery and leave the camera overnight. If this doesn't solve things but you can get to the menu set it to 'shoot without lens' and see if a image is visible on the LCD. If all else fails then back to Panasonic.
  4. runner girl

Nov 26, 2011
    Thanks. I can get to the menu. I re-set - no luck and shoot without lens does not get me anything. I WAS able to do this when doing my test shots just before the sensor "disappeared" behind the black "curtain". I've removed the battery and will see what to or row brings. Thanks so much.
  5. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    It sounds like the curtain is stuck, and once in a while it will move for a shutter actuation... :frown:

I presume it looks similar to this: EM5 curtain is stuck
  6. runner girl

Nov 26, 2011
    Yep that is exactly what it looks like. At least I know why to call it when I call Panasonic Customer "Service".
  7. RobertinArabia

RobertinArabia Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2012
    Runner Girl,
    Was problem solved?
  8. runner girl

Nov 26, 2011
    Mostly no... I sent it in to Panasonic (no) Customer Service in Texas as instructed. After three weeks they claimed that I'd abused it by taking it out in humid weather and by taking it to the beach and getting sand in it - I have never been to the beach... I ended up purchasing a new on as their "offer" on a refurbished was almost as much as new and would have taken three weeks minimum to get. I love this camera and replaced it because I had a bunch of batteries, etc. that I could not have used on another camera. However, my experiences with Panasonic tell me that they have NO customer service - you can't get a Panasonic person on the phone, etc. I will do my best to never purchase another camera/lens from them. On the other hand, the one question I had about my Oly 45 lens - I called them and got real service and real suggestions to solve my issue.
  9. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Wow, that's pretty lousy. Abused by using in humid weather?
  10. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    "Well what do you think you have, an EM-5??"

I can just imagine. LOL.