G3, Max useful SD card speed?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by gt7599a, Dec 28, 2012.

1. gt7599a

gt7599a Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 31, 2012
    I'm getting a G3. I've heard the buffer is on the small side. What is the fastest SD card that still gives improved write speeds? I don't want to spend extra money on a faster card if there isn't any performance difference. I'll probably go class 10 but before i buy i thought I'd ask if anyone had any experience or specs they can point to to answer this.

Thanks

Ed

2. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    When I bought mine in a store they sold me the fastest/best one. Sandisk 95mb/s

3. gt7599a

gt7599a Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 31, 2012
    A little more searching & I found this . Additionally according to a post on Tom's Hardware it appears Sandisk uses a test setup that is designed to give numbers far beyond real world expectations.

Form this post it appears that according to Panasonic Australia a class 10 card with a write speed of 22 mb/s is the fastest that will still benefit the user.

Also, remember its write speeds that count in this, not read speed.

Ed

4. mgear

mgear Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 1, 2013
    Eustis, Fl
    Sean Matt
    I currently have a 16GB Sandisk Extreme (non UHS, just Class 10) in mine. The buffer isn't *too* bad. It comes up quickly, but it also clears quickly.

5. gt7599a

gt7599a Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 31, 2012
    @Mgear, that's good to hear.
    I'm still waiting for my friend to bring it from the states. I'll keep using my current class 10 card until I save up enough money for a second one so each camera (my old Canon 550d & the g3) has its own card. I used Christmas, birthday, Jan & Feb fun money getting the g3 & 12-35, so back to bring patient & waiting. :rolleyes:

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

6. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    Some may consider that having a card that is faster than the camera's write speed is overkill. These people are more than a little bit shortsighted. The card's read speed vs. the read speed of the device they use to read the card into their computer is equally important.

Many users, like me, never download from the camera, but instead always remove the card and transfer the images to my computer via a card reader. For such users, the card's read speed needs to be at least as fast as my card reader's read speed to prevent overly long copy times when reading the cards.

7. LeeOsenton

LeeOsenton Mu-43 Button Clicker

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    The G3 and 12-35mm should be a very nice combination. Please share some photos when you can. I have a cheap Transcend Class 10 in a G3 and it seems fine. I did snap a few RAWs with the shutter release on high. It shot a couple images very fast, stuttered, and then continued at a much slower pace. Transcend rates the card for 18mb write and 22mb read (must be near the minimum for class 10). You should be fine with most good quality class 6 or 10 cards.

Lee

8. gt7599a

gt7599a Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 31, 2012
    @lee, my current class 10 card is also Transcend. My write speed test for it was, "could it record HD video on my 550D" & the answer is yes. I'll find a test utility and run the numbers.

I'm also looking forward to posting some shots once I get it. Been lurking for a while since I didn't have an m43's

Ed

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2