1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

G3 - Manual mode help.

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by BigD, May 25, 2012.

1. BigD

BigD New to Mu-43

May 25, 2012
    I am new to photography and this is my first camera. My bro has a full DSLR and was playing around with my G3 the other day and when in manual mode, he says altering -/+ EV can't be done. Aperture and shutter speed can be altered. On his, all 3 functions can be altered. Is this the case on G3's or is my camera faulty?

2. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    You can't adjust EV compensation in manual mode on any camera, because the camera has no control over the exposure anyway. In Aperture or Shutter priority mode, exposure compensation will be available.

3. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    I believe your brother is right. The principle is that when you're in manual mode, you have full control of aperture and shutter speed; if you want to make some EV adjustment, you directly modify aperture or shutter speed. If there were an EV +/- adjustment function, which parameter would it adjust preferentially?

4. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    He is right about not being able to alter the exposure compensation. You are practivally changing the EV through one of the main parameters - shutter speed and aperture.

It might appear that he's changing the EV compensation on his because the button you press to switch between shutter speed and aperture adjustment in M is the same as the EV -/+ in A or S. But in reality there are only two parameters that you can alter on the DSLR as well.

If you're not convinced, just try to figure out what is the third parameter that gets adjusted on the DSLR.

5. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    My guess is that on his camera, the EV adjustment doesn't change any settings - just makes the meter reflect the exposure compensation.

With the way our meter displays the info, I don't see why you would need this.

6. BigD

BigD New to Mu-43

May 25, 2012
    Thanks for the info everyone. As I said, this all new to me. I'll figure things out eventually.

7. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    On my Canon EOS 350D it changes the aperture when I have the EV comp pressed. You have to use it since the camera doesn't have 2 wheels to adjust SS and Aperture in M.