1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

G3 manual focus quick access

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by StephenL, Aug 31, 2011.

1. StephenL

StephenL Mu-43 Regular

Sep 1, 2010
    Don't know if this will be helpful to anyone but myself, but one issue I had with my G3 was a quick way of getting into manual focus on an af lens.

Sure, you could set one of the fn buttons, but that would still mean two button-presses to activate manual focus.

So, what I've done is this:

Set fn1 to AF lock with AF lock ON

Set focus to AF + MF

Now, when I want to go to manual focus, I simply press fn1, then turn the focus ring. Once focussed, the camera keeps manual focus until you press fn1 again.

• Like Like x 1
  2. sevenil

sevenil Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2011
    I'd say this is a very useful tip - even if I wasn't from Edinburgh myself. But it did take a bit of fiddling to get there. Wouldn't it be great if you could load all the different settings you wanted using your computer? (As read in a recent suggestion).
    Thanks for the pointer - there's a book in there somewhere for someone who documents them all.

3. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Interesting idea! Do you ever find that you accidentally go into manual focus when you actually want to stay in auto focus?

Right now, I simply have AF/MF as one of the quick menu items and try to put it back on that one whenever I use the quick menu for something else, so that it is the first thing that comes up. That way, the bottom Fn button is almost an AF/MF button (actually have to hit it, press up, press left or right, then hit select, but it's very quick once you get used to it), but still allows me access to the Quick Menu, which you can't otherwise get to when using the EVF only. If I were re-doing the G3, I'd have a dedicated Quick Menu button and a programmable Fn2 button either above-left or below-right of the d-pad. One more button would really help.

One other note: I believe that some here assign C1 on the control dial as MF in A mode.

4. StephenL

StephenL Mu-43 Regular

Sep 1, 2010
    Not yet, but I see how it could happen.

That's a thought worth considering.

The main thing I miss from my GH2 which isn't on my G3 is a dedicated focus lock button at an easy position. The current fn1 button is simply too awkward to hit without looking for it.