G3 manual focus question

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by robertro, Dec 21, 2012.

1. robertro

robertro Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 22, 2010
    The Panasonic site and some reviews refer to a manual focus assist on the G3 that is described as a full view augmented by a 4x magnified view in the center of the screen (or maybe on some specific subject?).

I don't seem to be able to access this. I can get a full-LCD magnified view, but not this hybrid view. Am I missing some setting?

2. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I think what you describe is only available on the G5 and GH3.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
  3. greenlight

greenlight Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    Colin B
    On the GX1, you can zoom out the full-LCD magnified view using the thumb wheel; once you zoom out down to 4x you get the hybrid view. G3 may be the same?
  4. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    As Greenlight mentioned, there are three views. When using an adapted lens, pressing the thumbwheel (depending on mode, possibly mutiple times) will bring up the zoom. Turing the wheel results in moving between the framed view with portion at 4x zoom, 4x zoom filling the screen, and 8x zoom filling the screen. All of these are movable by either touching the screen, or using the 4way keys to move the box. A half press of the shutter disables it. With native lenses, you can set it to automatically bring this up by turning the focus ring. Depending on the mode (MF vs AF+MF) you may need to have the shutter half-pressed to have the camera recognize that you are changing focus. Even with native lenses, pressing the thumbwheel will bring it up.
  5. robertro

robertro Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 22, 2010
    Thank you! I was playing with a Tokina 60-120 f2.8 and the focus is super!
  6. sac

sac Mu-43 Regular

Sep 5, 2012
    Vic, Australia
    Thanks greenlight and Cruzan80. Did not know the thumb wheel action and was getting frustrated with the manual focus on my G5. My eyesight is not what it used to be. :thumbup: