1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

G3 & liveview question

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Jermonic, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Jermonic

Jermonic Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2012
    Denmark
    I just bought the G3, and it seems to be a really nice camera with good quality photos.

Just a minor thing.... I had the impression that when you adjusted shutter/aperture in Manual mode, or used any settings in PASM modes, that the LCD screen instantly would reflect these changes, as I was used to on my Nex-5.

It does sometimes change, but it seems like artificial brightness put on top of the image, and not the real change in conditions.

Shouldn't the camera LCD instantly reflect the changes made with the controls, so you get an idea of what the result will be like, before pushing the shutter?

Or am I wrong here?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks :)

2. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    You can assign preview to a Fn button. You'll find it in the menus.

3. Jermonic

Jermonic Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2012
    Denmark
    That preview seems practically useless and extremely sluggish (in low light indoors). Is that normal behavior?

I seldomly have to set both shutter speed and aperture (usually I'm just going with one of them), so this isn't a big deal, but I'm a bit curious of course.

4. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Search - this has been addressed 1,397,281 times

The Panny live view is not WYSIWYG unless you hit the trash/DOF preview and display buttons.

5. G1 User

G1 User Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 20, 2010
    are you wanting to see the Photo after you take it on the LCD?

There is a few things to do, Under the "Setup" menu on page 2, go to the "Auto Review" tab and select "Hold"..

Now, when you are shooting with LCD, or EVF, the image will display just after you take.. NOW, to change what you see, use the FLAT display button above the 4-way, and cycle through the options. The next photo you take will display with your pick... BTW, as soon as you half press the shutter, the camera goes into Picture Taking mode.

The G3 has no "Auto-Eye" switch as the G1-GH2, BUT, if you set up the camera in the CUSTOM menu on page 5, at the bottom "Play on LCD" and turn it "ON"

Then if are using the EVF, hitting the "Play" button will display the image on the LCD. If you prefer to view it this way over the Auto Preview in EVF.

Again, a 1/2 press on the shutter, goes into Shooting mode. No need to change the "Auto Preview" either.

Also. The Pannys have an "Auto Gain" for the EVF and LCD, which makes it easier to focus at small f/stops. THE DOF isn't affected, just the brightness. You still see the DOF with the f/stop your are using.

Also, in the CUSTOM menu on Page 2, is an "EXPO METER" setting, Turn that "ON". This will give you a double bar with the Speeds and f/stops synced with your settings as change one or the other.

6. Jermonic

Jermonic Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2012
    Denmark
    Hey, thanks for your replies both of you.

I didn't know what exactly to search for, but now I see what you mean, it's been addressed several times. I just believed WYSIWYG live view was standard on point & shoot as well as MFT, I mean, we're writing 2012 :D

The preview button is an absolute joke, it's like a blind snail on Xanax, Panasonic might as well have abstained from including it.

It's not a big nuisance by any means, I don't like the chore of adjusting shutter/aperture if I can get a good exposure by other means (using the meter or shooting P-mode). But, I was pondering about this feature a bit. :) Again, thanks for answering my newcomer questions.

7. ...and you'd think after 1,397,281 queries Panasonic would get the message. It is seriously annoying to have a live-view image on the screen in front of you, take the image, and then get a different result. Accurate preview of the final image was meant to be one of the benefits of live-view cameras, after all. Note that I'm not talking about DOF preview here, but exposure preview.

8. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Agreed. They MUST have heard, and yet all the new releases continue to have it, so there must be some reason (?)

9. It's obviously do-able, even if it was just a simple menu option for the user to choose between WYSIWYG and WYSMNEBWYGBVBOASPAWWDCTETTPOEHS*.

*What you see may not be exactly what you get but varies based on a secret, predetermined algorithm which we don't care to explain. That's the price of entry, happy shooting!

• Like Like x 3
  10. G1 User

G1 User Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 20, 2010
    DSLRs have a DOF Preview, The Problem is that Panasonic opted for easier MF with non- AF lenses. The Auto-Gain is very useful in low light, but, for exposure checking, the Histogram can be used, and is much easier than trying read a dark LCD actual image brightness at f/stops like f/8 - f/22.

Granted, an "On/Off" option would be nice.
    And Olympus has just the opposite... So, if you want WYSWYG (Per-Say), with MF lenses, go with Olympus....

And a DOF preview on native m4/3 lenses would be nice also.

11. Don't we already have that option on both brands?

12. G1 User

G1 User Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 20, 2010
    I am not aware of that for Native AF lenses on my G3.
    I will dig into the manual again. I couldn't find it in the Menus.

EDIT/Update
    Page 101 in the PDF Manual

Under Custom Menu, Page 1, Fn1 can be set for "Preview" Or "DOF Preview".
    I have mine set for Metering Mode, And Fn2 for Exposure lock.

13. Not sure about the G3. On my GH1 there is a dedicated button (trash/DOF preview) and it is assignable to a button on the E-P1 and E-PL1.

14. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Yeah, I was wondering the same and kept asking the Panasonic rep who gave me a business card at the time I purchased the camera. many e mail later he told me it didn't have one.

15. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I too have a G3 with which I am happy but was looking for the same thing and couldn't find it.

16. ripleys baby

ripleys baby Straw clutcher

Aug 10, 2011
    Go to custom menu tab and select
    Fn button set.
    Then select either Fn1 or Fn2
    Then select preview on page 1 (aperture blades)

When enabled you can see the effect of exposure comp in A,S & P.

I use it now and again. I do prefer to have the Fn button for other reasons.

Hope this helps.:smile:

17. 13Promet

13Promet Mu-43 Regular

Dec 11, 2011
    Milano
    I'd suggest to use the histogram for exposure check instead of the live preview: it's 100% accurate and tells you things which would be very hard to find out by your own eyes, even by a WYSIWYG live view system.
    It takes a bit of time to get used to it, but it's a huge help in exposure control :thumbup:
    Couple it with the highlits warning and your will rarely miss the perfect exposure in two, maximum three shots.
    When in very contrasty conditions, just use bracketing and check out later what part of the picture DR to save and which to "sacrifice".

18. Jarola

Jarola Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2012
    Tampa FL
    Jarek
    Please pardon the newb question. But how you read the histogram? I can't seem to make anything of those lines. All I see is it changes from white to yellow some times.

Thanks.

19. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Page 137 on your PDF manual

20. Jarola

Jarola Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2012
    Tampa FL
    Jarek
    Thanks!