1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

G3 just arrived.. however!

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by MrDoug, Oct 6, 2011.

1. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    My new G3 just arrived.. charging battery, however I was working with articulating screen and it is not like the EPL3 tilt screen.. I have not found a way to make it tilt down vertically to the body like the EPL3.. it only tilts down if it's horizontal to the body.. to the left.. NOT GOOD! It makes the Camera wider in my opinion.. or do I just need to get use to it?:smile:

2. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    It's like my Canon G-12 in that respect.. I wish I would have known that.. I didn't do my homework right.. LOL..

3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    It has its advantages, like for taking video in certain situations and also for self portraits. Give it a chance!

4. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    Hi Amin... Ok, well I have never done Video.. my wife does that with a SONY.. LOL but I will give it a chance for sure.. not that big of deal really.. LOL .. I bought the Brown, but it looks more like Purple - Brown kinda sorta .. it does look very nice.... sweet looking.... built in Flash, EVF and the Articulating screen.. the EP3 needs to add that Tilt Screen for sure.. I will keep you updated.. I did also order this thru your Amazon link.. I hope you get credit. It came from Norman Camera on time .. perfect..
    Doug

• Like Like x 2
  5. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    +1.....and would it kill them to include an EVF just like the G3 does. Compare the prices and the cost of those 2 "extras" that the less expensive camera offers. Drives me nuts.

• Like Like x 1
  6. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    Yes.. EP3 should offer built in EVF as well.. maybe the EP4 will include Tilt Screen and EVF... I bet they will down the road.. they will be forced in that direction. I would think.. dah..

7. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    Oh, I should add if Steve Jobs was running OLYMPUS.. wow .. it would be the EP3/5.. LOL

8. DDBazooka

DDBazooka Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    The EP3gs would be more likely, with a slightly higher resolution screen, an extra +2 megapixel, and if we're lucky, maybe even a new art filter.

9. The fully articulated screen is better IMHO. The E-PL3/NEX style screen is fine for looking down or up in landscape orientation, but it doesn't work in portrait.

10. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Doug... the articulating screen allows shooting at 90 degrees off axis to your body, which I like when doing street photography. I will face away at 90 degrees from the area I want to photograph, hold the camera down at waist level, and turn the LCD so I can just look down while I am actually photographing at 90 degrees off to the side. Pretty cool. Helps keep it from being quite so obvious that you're photographing people who are off to your side. You're facing away from those you are photographing so you appear less obvious to them. And I like the ability to turn it around and close it so that the face of the LCD screen is protected when you don't need it facing out. Also helps with shooting in vertical orientation over your head or far below you. I think when you try out all the possibilities you will find that it can really enhance your creativity from an angle of view standpoint. :thumbup: This is a camera that you really need to take some time to explore and study... it offers a great deal of customization and it does take some time to work your way to a comfort zone with it, so don't be hasty in your evaluation of the camera.

11. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    I just picked up a brown G3 as well! Great minds think a like!

So far, the handling of the GH2 feels superior. All the extra dials and better grip help. The auto eye sensor for the EVF works much better than the switch as well.

I also tend to like the EP3's feel in my hand better, even though the grip on the EP3 is smaller. Buttons seem to be easier to reach for my hand.

G3 also seems to run warm for me, even though I'm indoors with air conditioning.

Well, just my first impressions. Hopefully it'll grow on me. Otherwise the EP3 will be the keeper and G3 is going back.

12. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    So, Mr. Doug, did you intentionally leave out the choice of brown in your thread below so that you will run into less G3s of the same color on the street? ;-P

https://www.mu-43.com/f43/g3-what-color-17011/

I like the brown, too, but I would get a white one if I were to buy one...

13. DDBazooka

DDBazooka Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    Some other use posted a picture that greatly influenced his decision :p

14. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    Hi Don.. Yes, that makes sense.. you should know.. I was just kinda use to that EPL3 Flip DOWN.... but, after thinking about it.. I will try it.. and it makes a lot of sense.. look on way and shoot another.. thanks for your advice.. I am good at listening from someone who is smarter than I .. :smile:
    Good Stuff..

15. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Doug... I don't know about any smartness differences between us at all, but I may have some more experience in some areas, which I'm happy to share with anyone who might be interested. :smile: I don't know if the G3 is for you or not, but I do know that it's a wonderful camera that is very capable and offers the full range of useability and viewing/compositional options. I also know that it's a camera that definitely takes a while of working with before you settle into an established method of interaction with it. Take your time with the camera and get to know it well.. then you'll be in a zone of familiarity which will help you evaluate it's position in your camera kit. And remember, just like every other camera out there that you might acquire, it's not perfect and, of course, has aspects which you may wish improved upon. The perfect camera has yet to be created.

16. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    Sheesh.. I have sent so many Cameras back, I have been expecting B&H or Amazon to tell me.. "your limit of returns is down to zero" LOL.. I buy one and ship one back.. today I shipped out EPM1 and received G3 on same day.. LOL.. my girlfriend/kinda wife is like.. you must be Crazy.. and I told her I'm Crazy but not Stupid.. LOL

17. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    I should open my own Parcel Post/Shipping Office..

18. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    oh.. and hire you as my legal representative.. :rofl:

19. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Mr Doug, with all your responses to your own posts I have to ask. Do you a multiple personality disorder, or should I ask Mr Doug?

• Like Like x 2
  20. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    No, I saw Don's photo of Brown G3 and thought that is different and looks good..so I thought. I will try that.. and after getting it.. it looks good.. not UGLY brown like a K-Mart Suit.. My Girlfriend said it looks Brown/Purple..so we call it: BrownPurple!