G3 jpegs

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by pjohngren, Jul 10, 2011.

1. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    Except for a six month period last year when I gave RAW a try, I have shot jpegs since the dawn of digital. I have a G1 and GF1, and was very interested in how the G3 might compare re: in-camera processing. Here are some early impressions.

The “out of the box” jpegs need less tweaking than did previous G cameras. The Auto WB seems very useable, but still renders a slightly cooler image, so I have adjusted the Auto WB one notch toward magenta and one notch toward amber, which seemed to make it perfect.

Film Mode has become Photo Style, and while “Standard” is acceptable, I like “Vivid” with a little dialing back on contrast and noise reduction and a further increase in Sharpening.

Two features are very interesting: I D, or intelligent dynamic can be turned on and increased to its maximum setting. It brings out shadow detail without losing blacks or blowing out highlights. The second one is I R, or intelligent resolution, which I have set on High. This one is really great. It sharpens edges and areas with texture and detail, while leaving smooth areas like sky alone. Supposedly this is done on a pixel by pixel basis. The results are gorgeous jpegs right out of the camera, with in-camera processing done on the RAW file before the jpeg is created and done in an instant.

Other features I like are the EVF grid, which can be turned on and in a couple of configurations. The lines of the grid, in classic tic tac toe pattern, are extremely fine and look like the ones that used to be etched in the glass focusing screens of my old Nikon cameras. They are usefully visible, but unobtrusive.

I think there are just the right amount of external controls, with dedicated mode dial, and buttons for WB, ISO, focusing pattern, and drive mode. In addition, there are two programmable function buttons.

Focusing is incredibly fast – instantaneous – the fastest of any camera I have operated. And according to Panasonic data, it is 90% accurate, where as phase detection is only 60% accurate.

So far, this is proving to be a nice little camera, which produces terrific pictures that can easily be enlarged to 16 X 20. It has raised in-camera processing to a new level.

• Like Like x 16
  2. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks for posting - a lot of information here.

Most of all, it's great that you are happy with the camera. Enjoy!

3. simonz

simonz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2010
    New England
    Nice explanation of what the I.D. and I.R. do in the real world. I had turned them off because I didn't understand them and now will re-enable them. I've used your other recommended settings, from other threads, on my G1 and as a result my jpg's were much improved.

There is one new feature that I really like and discovered because I made an error. Somehow, when I first got my G3, I had set the exposure adjustment to +1. Later when I tried to set to back to 0, I couldn't find a setting to do it. This led me to looking up exposure adjustment in the manual. Come to find out, the Q.Menu is user configurable. Up to 15 settings menus can be place into the Q.Menu. I must have deleted the Exposure Adjustment menu from the Q.Menu and have since added it back, along with several other Settings menus that I would like accessible.

Thanks for your research on getting better OOC jpgs and understanding how this amazing camera works.

• Like Like x 2
  4. pjohngren

Oct 15, 2010
    That's interesting. You can also control exposure comp by the little thumb dial on the top back of the camera. In Aperture Priority, it controls the aperture, but pressing it in switches to controlling the exposure comp. So you can toggle back and forth between the two. I imagine it does the same in other modes, like Shutter Priority etc.

5. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    G3's jpegs I've seen so far are very good and much better than e.g. GF2. They may not be as vivid as Oly with standard settings but they don't have any color casts which previous pana models sufferred from (magneta, yellow/pink or anemic skintones, washed out colors, etc.). G3 colors seem to be rather neutral making adjustments easy. Most camera manfucaturers stick to their "signature" color rendition. I'm glad that Pansonic listened and changed its ways (quite dramatically so from what I've seen so far).

• Like Like x 1
  6. pjohngren

Oct 15, 2010
    I agree. And if you like "vivid", then the Vivid setting gives you just that, without changing the colors at all - just intensifying everything a bit and giving it more punch.

7. simonz

simonz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2010
    New England
    Aghhh. I forgot all about pushing in the thumb dial. :dash2: New lessons to be learned all the time.

8. cherrywood

cherrywood Mu-43 Regular

Dec 17, 2010
    Ohio
    Pjohngren, I have my G1 and really like and need and use the AF/AE lock button. But the G3 does not have it as I believe. Do you miss this feature and is there a workaround. I think this is a serious omission. Thanks Dennis.

9. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    :2thumbs:
    Great mini-review pJohn, thanks for posting the information we can use over and above the surface guff that all the other reviews seems to give us.

Can you give me a specific impression about the G3's 'multifilm' (which is now called ... something else?) taking for example 1 vivid, 1 black&white & 1 natural in sequence : how quick is it?

The single thing the G3 lacks for my own purposes is ISO-bracket : making 3 files from 1 frame. My Olympus has this but Lumix don't. How quick can your G3 EV-bracket 3 shots, and what maximum exposure spread does that give? On my G1 it's only +/- 2/3rds EV instead of a whole one. (without going to 5 or 7 frames...)

10. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    AE-L can be assigned to either of the Fn buttons.

• Like Like x 1
  11. pjohngren

Oct 15, 2010
    There doesn't seem to be either a multifilm or multi ISO bracket on the G3. As far as exposure bracketing, you can to +/- a full stop, up to 7 (0 and three on either side). And it will do the +/- 1 stop on just three exxposures.

12. Ulfric M Douglas

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Thanks for the info.
    To find multifilm on this G1 I press 'film mode' (top plate button) and scroll backward one step from Standard or forwards from MyFilm1 and 2.
    Perhaps they're putting multifilm in as a MyFilm setting?

13. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Can you tell me where the other threads are because I have just bought a G2 and would like to shoot only in jpeg?

Thank you

14. sphexx

sphexx Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2010
    Harrogate, Yorkshire
    • Like Like x 1
  15. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Thanks for the great review. A quick question which I should be able to find but can't. (Clearly, My Google Fu is weak) Is there a setting that takes both JPG and Raw images? Although this takes a lot of write time, I have found it useful in the past. I generally am fine with JPGs but like to have the RAW as backup in case an image needs some work.

16. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Yes, you can shoot RAW + jpeg :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Ulfric M Douglas

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    -Gulp-
    I'm starting to have a sinking feeling about my second-favourite function in my G1 being completely dropped for the G3, that is Multifilm.
    I can press the shutter and the camera takes three photos with three different film modes. I have mine set up for a tweaked Nature, B&W-Dynamic and a subdued Dynamic. This way I've got three Jpegs with different whitebalance,saturation and contrast characteristics from which I can choose the nicest or most realistic and delete the others.
    If the G3 doesn't do this thing ... I'm not buying it, even if I could get a brown one. Sheesh, this is looking bad! (for my specific use)
    From pJohn's comments, the recent DPReview full review and the downloaded .pdf manual ... it looks like Multifilm is absent.

18. pjohngren

Oct 15, 2010
    I don't know why they did away with the Multifilm setting - it certainly wasn't for space considerations and the G3 processor is more robust than the G1.

There is a lot to like in the G3, but the G1 is a superb camera, and with it tweaked to your liking, and assuming you don't need to go even smaller, it is really all the camera you (or I) need. I am going through my usual post-buying questioning of "what will I do with all these cameras" routine. I can tell you this - I won't be selling my G1, or probably my GF1 either. Time will tell if I can love the G3 as much as the first two.

One thing I do like about the G3 is the simplified set of controls and buttons. It has all the contols I seem to need, and in fact I can't seem to decided what to use the function 2 button for - at the moment I have it set on the Photostyle (Film Modes). I have never used AF/AE buttons - I just press the shutter half way, focussing on something, then re-frame and take my shot. What are people using the AF/AE buttons for?

Another thing I do like about the G3 is the improvements made to in-camera processing with the addition of "Intelligent Resolution." I think the auto WB has also been improved. My guess is that the G3 is really going to shine in the area of in-camera processing. Maybe they installed Light Room inside the camera :~) Also the incredible speed and accuracy of its autofocus.

• Like Like x 1
  19. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I think that an idea uograde from G2 would be GH2 or GH3 (when t comes).
    Do yo think from G2 to G3 is worthwhile as an upgrade?