1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

G3 - Jpeg Indoor flash settings

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Wayne77, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Wayne77

Wayne77 New to Mu-43

Jul 15, 2011
    Hi all - I'm new here and recently picked up a G3, which I'm really pleased with. Anyway, one thing I am having a problem with is getting a flash setting that yields pleasing skin tones. I also had this problem with my wife's Panasonic FZ40 - caucasian skin tones usually have a slight bluish/pale cast. I know it isn't always possible to get natural skin tones given the harsh color of flash lighting, but I was able to get more consistent indoor flash results with a Canon dslr/onboard flash I had before selling my dslr gear (tired of lugging all that stuff around) and joining the m-4/3's community.

I've experimented with the flash WB setting, adjusting the WB color settings, etc, and I can't seem to find a setting that looks right. Indoor flash photography will not be a major use for me, but I would like a setting I can rely on, especially when my wife grabs the camera for family shots, etc.

What have you found to work best for indoor flash Jpeg settings?

Thanks!

2. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    The problem is you are working under mixed lighting conditions and you need to make big compromises. With an off-camera flash, you can gel the flash to the ambient temperature. I would set your WB to flash and then see if you can tweak the balance slightly to the warm side--I use an Olympus camera, but I imagine the Panasonic will allow you to change the presets a bit.

But my question is why bother using flash indoors? The camera works well in high ISOs. I only use flash outside on sunny days as a fill.

• Like Like x 2
  3. MartinK

MartinK Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 13, 2010
    Washington State
    I shoot RAW so WB not critical, but setting to flash is a good baseline for WB. I added a small 1/4 cTO gel to the flash head with velcro since most flash shots occur where incandescent light is prominent. But the biggie is to move the flash power menu to one of the FN buttons. Then you canquickly dial the flash power down. I generally shoot P mode -1/3 EV and flash power at about -1...

• Like Like x 1
  4. Wayne77

Wayne77 New to Mu-43

Jul 15, 2011
    Thanks for your input - much appreciated. After reading your post I was able to find a good non-flash/incandescent light setting by adjusting the kelvin and bumping the ISO up to 1600 (I only have the slower kit lens at the moment). With the G3 high ISO capability I can now get some really nice indoor shots without the flash. However, for any wiggly kid shots I think I'll still need a flash since they move around so much requiring higher shutter speeds (until I can get a fast prime). I don't get a good keeper rate at 1/30 - someone mentioned in another post 1/250 is the minimum to capture kids indoors...

When using no flash indoors I have two things going against me: 1) My home indoors at night is an incandescent nightmare - lots of overhead can lights + very warm carmel colored walls: I had to bump the Kelvin way down to accomodate for this. 2) I am working with the slow kit lens. I hope with the 20/1.7 prime I will be able to bump the shutter speeds up enough to freeze the wiggly kid action and maintain proper exposure without having to bump ISO higher than 1600.

Otherwise I can look into a reasonably compact add-on flash unit for the G3. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

5. Wayne77

Wayne77 New to Mu-43

Jul 15, 2011
    Excellent advice, thanks. I hadn't considered bumping the flash power down a bit. I guess it makes sense given the fact that since the flash doesn't have great range, it requires one to move in closer than normal, causing the harsh/pale skin tones. I'll give this a shot too. Thanks.