1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

G3 JPEG extraction

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Replytoken, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I am looking for a program that can quickly and easily extract the JPEG preview from a Panasonic G3 RW2 file. I normally ingest all of my images into Lightroom where I do my post-processing, but sometimes I need to have a "quick and dirty" jpeg to send in advance of a final image. I have used FastStone to extract jpegs out of my Nikon NEF files before ingestion into Lightroom with reasonable success, but when I tried that with a G3 file, the colors were way off. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

--Ken

2. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Shoot RAW+JPEG? Then just look at the jpegs ...

3. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    It's an option, but it's not often that I need to extract a jpeg, so it's not an ideal solution. I need to spend a bit more time with FastStone to see why the embedded jpeg had a color shift when extracted.

--Ken

4. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    What colour space are you shooting in?

5. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    The color space is set to sRGB (although I will confirm that it has not changed). I am assuming that the embedded jpeg reflects the settings as if the camera was set to output jpegs instead of raw. And, I will confirm that my FastStone settings did not get changed as well.

While I love shooting with my Oly and Panny bodies, the transition to working with ORF and RW2 files has been a bit bumpier than expected. ORF files take forever to load, and I believe it has something to do with their embedded previews, or lack thereof. And, the RW2 files from my GF3 gave ImageIngester fits when I tried to rename/backup and convert them to DNG.

I am sure that things will all get worked out, but until then, things are taking a bit longer to accomplish than it seems like they should.

--Ken

6. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    If you open them in Irfanview, how do the colors look (if they're off, the problem isn't FastOne)? There's a Windows utility called InstantJPEGFromRAW that might work - not sure if the G3 is supported right now though.

Embedded previews don't make any difference for Lightroom or ACR - they're ignored.

7. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I will check the files again when I am home tonight if my schedule permits. The jpeg that FastStone created was too far off in color to just be a color management issue, so I will probably start from scratch and test a few files.

You are correct that LR creates its own cache of previews (and the DNG file also has its own embedded preview as well). But, I preview and cull images in FastStone before importing, and that is where the ORF files are extremely slow to load. I do not have this issue with NEF or RW2 files, so there must be something about Oly's file structure that does not allow it to load as fast as the other two formats.

Thanks,

--Ken

8. runner girl

runner girl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 26, 2011
    Picassa? I use that for a quick and dirty view and edit for my G3 RAW + JPEG.

9. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I had considered Picasa, but IIRC, the last time that I installed it on a machine, it decided index any image file on my machine.
    I do not want it messing around with any files other than those that I choose. Does the new version behave any better?

--Ken

10. runner girl

Nov 26, 2011
    That auto function is annoying.

11. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I agree. But can it be disabled?

--Ken

12. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    A quick update. I ran the original RW2 files through Exif Viewer and FastStone Image Viewer again tonight. The extracted jpeg from Exif Viewer and from the email function in FastStone were fine, but the files from FastStone's batch converter had the same problem. I am assuming that the issue is either in the converter code, or that the RW2 file is not structured in a way that works with the code. I have written the author of FastStone to see if he has any thoughts.

--Ken

13. runner girl

Nov 26, 2011
    Sorry, Ken - I am having trouble posting from my iPad. You can set Picassa not to scan particular folders.

14. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Thanks!

--Ken