G3 high ISO noise vs E-PM2/E-PL5

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by pcake, Apr 18, 2013.

1. pcake

pcake Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2010
    i sold my G3 a while ago, which i've regretted. i was thinking of getting another one, but i was also thinking that perhaps instead i could get a smaller camera with good image quality to carry around. i keep reading reviews about the great image quality of the E-PM2 and E-PL5, that they use the OMD sensor, and that they do well at high ISO, and i thought that sounded great.

last night i found high ISO samples for both olys on a wide variety of sites and compared the noise to the high ISO pics from my old G3. i was pretty startled, because my G3's pics seemed to hold up much better at ISO 3200 and above including pics with lots of shadows.

if you've had experience with the G3 and either the E-PM2 or E-PL5, can you share your experience with low light pics or high ISO pics 3200 and over?

2. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    From what I have read and samples that I have seen, the noise is comparable at high ISO settings, but the sensor in the OM-D (and other models) is much cleaner at low ISO. For most shots I think you will find it a worthwhile upgrade.

3. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    I don't know enough about how you shoot, but I traded my E-PL5 to a guy on here for his Panasonic G5. The reasons had nothing to do with image quality as I have an E-M5 and love it

It boiled down to this:

• The E-PL5 mode dial moves too easily. I shoot events wearing two cameras at times, and the E-PL5 dial moved accidently way too frequently.
    • I shoot with flash at indoor events and the FL-600R or FL-36R filled the shoe and I couldn't use my VF-2 on the E-PL5 and I much prefer a viewfinder when shooting events.
    • The E-PL5 really didn't have a great grip for shooting with a large flash attached.
    That's why I got the G5 for my second camera for events though I've since discovered I like the G series a lot. My daughter has a G1 since they were released and I really like that camera and was surprised to see I still like them, lol.

4. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    The G3 sensor in my opinion falls apart by 3200. The EM5/PL5/PM2 sensor holds up well at 3200 and can be used in a pinch at 6400. Saying that, I actually like the colors from the Panasonic sensor at low ISOs more so than the Olympus 16mp sensor.

5. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    I've had a similar revelation. There is nothing wrong with the E-M5 colors -- in fact, processed in RAW they look a LOT like my Nikon images did, lol. The "Sony" look, I suppose?

But even processed in RAW the Panasonics have a subtle difference that I've noticed and like. There is nothing right or wrong with either camera -- it's just that they are different and that's actually a good thing.