G3 Finally Arrived

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Biro, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I got home today to find a package by my front door... containing the G3 body only from Panasonic Direct. No notice about the shipment ahead of time, of course. I ordered it on August 9... so that's 3-1/2 months.

The irony is, I had to spend some money on furnace repairs this month and a delay until the end of the year would have worked out fine. But that's the way it goes, right? :rolleyes: Still, I do want the camera and I'm glad it's finally here. Plus, I can't beat the price anywhere - about $450 with the EPP discount.

2. Z-man

Z-man Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2011
    I like it so far as well..I think you will too.

The G3 is my first jump into the M4/3. And I acutally got to speak to a panasonic rep at the local camera shop about it and the G2 as well. While I like the extra external controls on the G2, the little bit extra size and the lot extra cost didnt make sense. This is going to be a nice alternative to carrying around my DSLR. It might get a lot more use than I think..

3. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Congrats..enjoy and post ur first pics here please

4. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I've had the G1, GF1 and G2... and enjoyed them all. They have all been gifted to relatives who are enjoying them to this day. I actually did use my G1 and G2 a bit more than my Pentax DSLRs. I was attracted to the G3 primarily because of the new sensor and image processing but I find the G3's size to make more sense than the older Panny G cameras in relation to my K-5 and Oly E-PM1. There's now a nice progression from large to small and vice versa. And I feel I still need a :43: camera at least as large as the G3 because I have those longer Panny zooms. I think my current camera lineup will serve me nicely for a while.

5. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Perhaps you mean the GH2? I can't see the G2 being more than the G3. Enjoy the G3 I hear it is a heck of a camera. I find that I quite like the mini-DSLR form factor. My G2 is by far the favorite m43 camera I have owned. Enjoy. Post pictures.

6. Z-man

Z-man Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2011
    pictures coming.. ISO question for you guys.

yes..I meant GH2. Sorry. Still learning the ropes on the 4/3 for sure. Its nice to see there is a good following. I will post some pictures soon.

How do you guys handle ISO on the 4/3 cameras. On my Nikon, I usually just went with the lowest ISO setting and adjusted from there. Normally I could shoot even 100 ISO inside and use a little bit of flash. My G3 seems to need a bit more light so I was wondering if you guys had a rule of thumb to shoot everything at like 200 or even 400 instead of 160??

7. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Huh? Regardless of the camera, a certain light level will demand a certain aperture/shutter speed/ISO combination (differences in actual ISO aside).

If you want a certain aperture and shutter speed, and it's still showing underexposed, then you need to raise the ISO.

8. Z-man

Z-man Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2011
    clarification..

I should clarify, shooting the two cameras at the same focal length, shutter, and ISO, shooting indoors and not with flash, the G3 is slightly under exposed compared to the Nikon. I know each camera and lens will have some of its own characteristics, so my question probably should have been something like does there seem to be a characteristic of the G3 that tends to under expose? or a perhaps just a characteristic of the 4/3 sensor vs. the APS-C sensor? I am just trying to get a feel for how other people are using their 4/3.

The test tonight will be my daughters theater production. Small private theater which I will use the 25mm PL and 45mm PL and see how it does. Obviously no flash photography allowed :smile:

9. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Don't be afraid to raise the ISO!

It does seem that my G3 errs on the underexposed side. I usually dial in 1/3 or 2/3 stops +EV

10. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    I don't use 160 on my G3 and stay most of the time with 200. Actually you can't tell much if any difference with 200, 400, and even 800 with the G3.

I have been into photography for over 55 years, and the G3 is my favorite camera of all time, with the possible exception of the Nikon FM-2 back in the days of film. It is hard to imagine that the G3 could be improved upon, from my standpoint, but I imagine they will come up with something.

The in-camera processing on the G3 is incredibly good and you have a huge amount of control in setting up the camera to get exactly what you want.