1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

G3: Fast way of getting good AF control when using EVF

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by strombergjo, Dec 4, 2011.

1. strombergjo

strombergjo New to Mu-43

Dec 4, 2011
    Using the screen to focus using touch works great but sometimes I want/need to use the EVF (bright light f.e.).

For many subjects the automatic AF modes are not sufficient, f.e. portraits with shallow DOF where focus must be exactly on the eyes.

I know how to change between the modes and to change the AF area but the operation takes far to much time to work when out shooting. On normal DSLRs you always have an active AF-point and can change it instantly but I have found no such possibility on the G3.

Does anyone know of a fast way of controlling AF when not using screen touch?

2. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Use either spot or pinpoint, put the mark on where you want focused, half press, reframe, full press shutter.

That said, I don't see how it matters that much. No AF lens will result in. DOF shallow enough for an AF "miss" of the cheek, nose, or eye to matter in a portrait.

3. stevebuk

stevebuk New to Mu-43

Dec 5, 2011
    I think you need to turn on DIRECT FOCUS AREA in the custom menu. This lets you move the focus point with the cursor buttons. Down side is you lose their usual settings. See page 88 of the G3 manual.

Regards,
    Steve

4. meachp

meachp Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2011
    Norton-on-Tees, UK
    1. Press the left cursor button (brings up AF Mode)

2. Press down cursor and focus area turns yellow. You can now move it
    around the screen with the cursor keys (and resize it with the scroll wheel).

With a bit of practice you can do this very quickly without taking your eye away from the viewfinder.

Hope this helps a bit.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Agree that once you learn how to do it, you won't have to take your eyes away from the EVF. Also, once the focus area turns yellow, scroll the thumb wheel to make the size smaller. Generally I put the now-smaller focus area on the eyes.

I do not suggest half-press -> reframe -> full-press. This was one of the major gripes I initially had about the G3, because although the focus stays locked, the exposure automatically changes based on the changes on the scene. A lot of my first shots with the G3 had underexposed subjects.

That's why inconvenient as it is, I use the small Fn-1 as my AE/AF lock, keep it pressed, recompose, then press the shutter. Apart from turning on AE lock (which has its own inconveniences), that's the only way as far as I know how to make sure the scene is focused/exposed on my subject. Anybody have any easier tricks regarding this?

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yeah, I'll agree with this. If you want separate exposure and focus control, then you need to seperate those functions and back-button focus is the way to do it. It also helps in a lot of other things, such as ensuring the camera doesn't try to refocus at the point of release, and allowing for pre-focus.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I will have to check on this. Obviously, the "we know what you want" display gain is coming to play here (where everything looks properly exposed on the screen, but it's not in actuality), but I'm pretty sure it locks the exposure at the half press too...

• Like Like x 1
  8. meachp

meachp Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2011
    Norton-on-Tees, UK
    I've just checked - and you're right, it does.

• Like Like x 1
  9. rpress

rpress Mu-43 Regular

Jun 11, 2010
    The exposure of the saved image does not change after half-press, although the G3 does tend to underexpose. The exposure shown on the LCD does change. If you don't want this, turn "shutter speed effect" on.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Hmmm.. I did a few simple tests here at home last night using just the half-press technique, and it does seem like the AF and the AE are locked, it's just the display on the LCD that changes (bummer). I'd be glad if the initial underexposed subjects were just the results of me being in the "getting to know" stage with the G3, but I will try to test it again under bright sunlight. Unfortunately, it is again a dreary day here. :smile:

11. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    x2 - this has been my experience, dialing in a touch +EV compensation takes care of the underexposure