1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

G3 ... Dumb Question re EVF and another about AE Lock

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Delb0y, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Delb0y

Delb0y Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2014
    You all seem very affable so I feel comfortable asking stupid questions...

On my Lumix G3 for the most part what I see when I look through the EVF appears to be what I get when I take a photo. But not always. The exception appears to be when things get too bright for the camera. The EVF then shows me a very dark picture, I click take to take a photograph, and lo and behold everything's burned out and bright white.

I took this picture this morning. The sky was very bright - lovely sunny morning - and when I looked through the viewfinder what I saw was a dark moody image as per below. I liked it, so I took the shot and lo and behold the first attempt was nothing like that - it was all white and bright and very over exposed and burned out. So I upped the speed to 2000 or 3000 and tried again and eventually got the shot below which matched what I was seeing. But why isn't the EVF showing me what I'm going to get as it does most times?

The q. is: is this an EVF thing, a G3, or a Derek thing?

15153120809_fc52c78361_z.

Second question is to do with Exposure Lock. I've set the single programmable function button(*) to Exposure Lock and I've got it to work on Aperture Priority / Speed Priority - but not with Manual. According to the book it should work on all modes. Anyone got this to work on Manual mode or is the book wrong?

(*) i want more than one!

Cheers
    Derek

2. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    AELock in Manual : what would you want to to lock? I have a G3 here, I could test it but I'm more familiar with Aperture mode.

3. Delb0y

Delb0y Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2014
    That's why I'm wondering if it's a dumb question.

It's related to the first question really - when what I see isn't what I get.

If I focus on a certain part of the frame and set my aperture/speed accordingly, but then re-frame with the AE lock held down (in A or S mode) then the preview in EVF doesn't change brightness-wise and what I see in the EVF is what I get when I take the shot.

Do the same in manual mode and, as I reframe, the EVF image lightens or darkens depending on how bright the part of the frame is that s now being metered is - although the resulting image is still as per what I first saw when I set the aperture and speed. So what I see is no longer what I get.

It's not a biggie, it's just annoying to see one thing in the EVF and something else once the shot has been taken. Knowing it happens I can prepare for it - just wondered if it was a G3 thing, an EVF in general thing, or user error.

4. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    It is a up-gain thing. The camera is changing the brightness of the EVF to reflect whatever is currently metered, except when AEL is engaged. The second preview mode will show you exactly what you will get, regardless of mode. However you need to reapply after shooting.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Mu-43 mobile app

5. poopstick

poopstick Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2013
    Burlington Ontario
    Question 1:
    Unless a camera is set to constant or live preview mode, it will always show an image on the screen that matches your set exposure setting. It then adjusts the aperture, shutter speed or ISO, depending on what mode you have selected.
    I'm guessing you had the camera in Aperture priority mode, with the aperture most or all the way open. The sky was bright enough to max out the shutter speed at 1 / 4,000. And therefore the camera could not get the proper exposure with the aperture open that much. The aperture and shutter speed numbers on the screen will change red to warn you when this happens.

Question 2:
    Fart fart farty fart fart.(See Post #8)

6. Delb0y

Delb0y Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2014
    Thanks for the replies, Poop (and Ulfric and Cruzan), much appreciated. The first scenario I was in Manual mode but you're right, the aperture and shutter speed did flash in red so I'm guessing that the settings I had in on simply overloaded the EVF. I still don't understand why it didn't show me what it would eventually capture - i.e. a very bright, almost white, preview - rather than a very dark, almost black, one. Maybe the light was simply so overpowering it gave up!

On the second question it's the exposure lock, rather than the auto-exposure setting, that I'm trying to figure out. Once the exposure has been set - either automatically or manually - I can't work out why I can't lock it (so far as the preview is concerned) when in Manual mode, the way I can when in A or S (and the way the user-guide says you can in M).

The resulting images in Manual mode are obviously still dependant on my manual settings - these don't change as I reframe - but the preview image lightens and darkens, so my photograph can be very different from the EVF preview.

I guess I may be expecting too much thinking what I see in the EVF will match what the camera captures. Perhaps it's the excuse I need for a more modern camera! :smile:

Cheers
    Derek

• Like Like x 1
  7. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    It showed you a dark screen because whatever metering mode you were in, it tried to make that "medium-gray". So if you metered off the clouds, it gave that "look" to the EVF, while at the bottom showing +3 on the EC bar.

To get what you see in M, you need to set a Fn button to Preview (the one that looks like aperture blades). Hitting it twice, so it reads "Shutter Speed Effect Off" will show you what the picture will look like after taking it, exposure-wise. The first setting "Shutter Speed Effect On" shows you DoF on a native lens, stopped down to the aperture set. Unfortunately, this doesn't do anything in PAS modes, so unless you set C1/C2 for Manual with Preview, you will lose both your Fn buttons (one for AEL, one for Preview).

• Like Like x 1
  8. poopstick

poopstick Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2013
    Burlington Ontario
    I had a big brain fart with question 2. Sorry about that.
    What I should have said was; Auto Exposure Lock doesn't work in manual mode because it is completely unnecessary. The exposure will not change without input from you. There's nothing to lock.

9. poopstick

poopstick Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2013
    Burlington Ontario
    The newer Panasonic cameras have a "Constant Preview" option that does what you are talking about in Manual Mode. But for everything up to the G6, you need to set up a function button with "Preview" like Cruzan80 was talking about.