G3 Discontinued?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by colbycheese, Jun 5, 2012.

1. colbycheese

colbycheese Mu-43 Veteran

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    i went on B&H website today to look how much the G3 costs. I wanted to get the red one but it was discountinued according to their website. I did find the black one for 550 with a kit lens witch is a great deal but i would rather get it in red but if it is more expensive i would not be willing to pay more for red. So I am asking if the G3 is discontinued or is it only the red one? This one here Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Digital Camera Kit (Red) DMC-G3KR B&H in red is apparently discontinued with no price. But this one:Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Digital Camera Kit (Black) DMC-G3KK B&H has a price and is not discontinued. Also what does it mean when the price is red? is that mean it is on sale or what? I am really confused

2. aroth87

aroth87 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 3, 2012
    Johnson County, KS
    Regarding the price being in red, I think that's how all B&H prices are. I don't think it has any significant meaning other than standing out on the page.

Regarding the G3, I looked on Panasonic's website and they only have the G3 body-only in their product line up. And only in Black. Read into that what you will.

FYI, KEH has 2 G3's with kit lenses right now for under $500. Both black though :biggrin:

Adam

3. AnttiV

AnttiV Mu-43 Regular

Apr 19, 2012
    Finland
    Note: I'm not 100% it was B&H, but I remember reading they'd mark products "discontinued" when they have no idea when or if they will get more. Reasoning was the that way less customers get p*ssed than if they ordered a product availability marked as "unknown" or "at least x weeks" and then they wouldn't ever get more. If they mark it as discontinued and then when/if they get inventory put it back for sale, means less "your order has been cancelled" for users waiting for weeks. Sound reasoning, if you ask me.

anyway, at least SOME store did that, I'm not exactly sure it was B&H.

4. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    G3+14-42 lens still available from Panasonic UK direct (as well as many retailers), kit price for Panasonic is £628.99.

I do not see them replacing it any time soon as it is still a viable contender to the OMD and at nearly half the price with lens.

I do however still suspect that Panasonic will answer the challenge of the OMD with an updated, weatherproofed, restyled GH3 later this year that may well also have a new designation to signify a top of the range model in the same way they have with the GX1.