G3 Discontinued

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by runner girl, Jan 20, 2012.

1. runner girl

runner girl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 26, 2011
    None else feel a bit deflated by the discontinuation go the G3 so soon?
  2. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I'd wait for an official word from Panasonic. B&H was the only one to say that, no? They could just stop carrying it (which, I also hope isn't true). If other sites start doing the same, then I'd be a bit bummed.

However, if Panasonic can immediately replace it with something else, I wouldn't be so annoyed. Technology moves, but I doubt a replacement would be a "must upgrade."
  3. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I'm not at all convinced it's really been discontinued. More likely new sku's, packaged differently with different lens options. Time will tell.

But even if it has been discontinued, it will still work as well as it did last week, so if it meets your needs you shouldn't worry. I still have EOS cameras that have been discontinued, and a G2, and they all work fine.
  4. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Thing is, I'm not sure if I see a huge difference between the GX1 and the G3. One has an integrated EVF for less. If I had the choice between the two on price alone, the G3 would win, even though I don't care about the EVF.
  5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Where does it say the G3 is discontinued? Just did a search at B&H and it listed as temporarily unavailable. Which, incidentally, is exactly the same as several of the E-P3 kits (presumably due to parts shortages after the disastrous flooding in Thailand).

6. Chuck Pike

Chuck Pike Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2010
    Charlotte, NC.
    I bought mine.

I noticed that B&H had several of the kits listed as discontinued before Christmas. I looked hard at the GX1 vs the G3, and came away that the G3 met my needs and so ordered one from B&H. It is every thing that I had hoped that it would be, and love this camera. I don't think I will need to upgrade again anytime soon. I used to use a Nikon film camera for several years before having to upgrade, and I think that the G3 may well be the same. My magazine publishers accept work from the GF1, so I know that they will also use files from the G3. I did have one shot published this week that filled 1/3 of a page, so these files from the m 4/3 cameras work for magaiznes.

Images for books, magazines and calendars | photosbypike
  7. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    It only matters if you need to have the newest camera for some vain reason. If you like the G3, continue to use it. I bought the G2 precisely because it was discontinued, and therefore cheapo reapo. I have no plans to upgrade it, because I am completely happy with it.

However, the G3 was released to pretty mixed reviews, due to its lost features over the G2, smaller battery, less ergonomic feel, etc. With the GX1 currently out, they could be shaking up the lineup. Especially with Fuji and Sony NEX cameras doing what they are to the marketplace, Panasonic probably realizes that they need to shake things up to stay ahead. Maybe the supposed GH3 will cost less than the GH2 did, filling both the role of the GH2 as a flagship, and of the G3 as an afforable model. Mirrorless cameras are much cheaper than DSLRs to produce, which is why you see such price drops on m4/3 cameras. Panasonic ekes out the most profit they can from the early upgraders, and then makes the camera attractive to the general market.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. G3 down 'n' out ?

Hi everyone,
    Just read this as I'm a newbie to this forum & Mu-43.com, so I was somewhat alarmed to read the rumours (?) about the G3 being discontinued, especially as I've just got one !:cool:

So , early days at presentfor me with it & seems to be a great camera, earning very favourable reviews here in the UK's photo press.:wink:

Mind you I do like the look of the GX1 !:biggrin:

What about the rumoured Olympus OM-D ? :confused:
  9. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hahahah Yes Its being discontinued and panasonic is sending GX1 as replacement who bought G3 in the last six months ..:rofl::rofl:
    So hurry up and contact Panasonic for free GX1 or ask them to give u a voucher to get New Olympus OM -D hahaahhah
  10. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Are you just kidding?
  11. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Yeah he is kidding - Australian humour before his first coffee :wink:
  12. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    highly unlikely for it's product life cycle since it's launch.
  13. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Hmmmm.... yes. Definitely in the water.

(Can't be the sun. Cloudy and only 82 (F) / 28 C in Brisbane today.)
  14. m43er

m43er Mu-43 Regular

Oct 6, 2011
    I would take that voucher for Olympus OMD too.