G3 body to compliment GX1?

RoadTraveler

Mu-43 All-Pro
G3 again

Updating this old thread in case it helps or interests others...when I was researching the G3 (again) last night it came up as part of my m4/3 search results.

---------

Months ago I went 100% with the GX1 for my m4/3 body. I have a few bodies, keep lenses mounted most of the time, and currently use LVF2s on three bodies and the LCD for composition. I’m still loving the form and function of the GX1 and don't plan to change for a while.

However, there is the obvious limitation of not being able to use a hot shoe flash and the LVF2 at the same time. I don't use much flash, don't care to, but there are times it's needed and I'll need to buy a good bounce-capable flash soon.

My prior use of the G3 and G5 told me I preferred the smaller size, the similar button layout and same battery of the G3 to go with the GX1 bodies. I've decided to buy a slightly used G3 from a forum member. My kit will now include one G3, GX1s, and Panasonic lenses until there is a need or desire to upgrade my bodies.

MarylandUSA

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Paul Franklin Stregevsky
The GX1 and G3 also share the same AC adapter (DMW-AC8) and DC Coupler (DMW-DCC9). Together, these cost more than $60. It's extremely useful to keep your camera plugged in while reconfiguring its buttons or exploring its menus. Sure, you can buy a knockoff. But for power components, I'd rather stay with Panasonic.

RoadTraveler

Mu-43 All-Pro
Interesting, I've never plugged-in a camera to AC, but I also have and rotate several batteries.

RoadTraveler

Mu-43 All-Pro
Well, I did it... again.

I purchased an absolutely mint G3 from drd1135 for a very reasonable price, it had a mere 58 shots taken with it! His packaging was fantastic, as I would have done it, and it survived a trip across the USA with the USPS with zero damage.

There are a few features missing compared to the GX1 but overall it's very similar as some of you already know. I knew this too, as this is my second G3. Of course, it uses the same battery, has a build-in viewfinder, and an articulating LCD screen, all good features.

It will be perfect for when I need those features or a hot shoe flash combined with the viewfinder. The GX1 still has firmer, nicer to use buttons and is my preferred tool, but for my use its the perfect combo, a G3 to backup my GX1s.

MarylandUSA

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Paul Franklin Stregevsky
a second GX3

I did what you did, RoadTraveler: Bought a second GX3 just days after receiving my first. But my story didn't end so well.

My second GX3 was an eBay Buy It now purchase for about $66 shipped--with everything but the $38 battery. The catch? It had apparently fallen out of a moving vehicle. Most of its rear buttons were smashed in, and the EVF had lost its bezel and rubber eyecup. The seller conservatively listed it "for parts". But in his listing, he noted that the buttons "may be hard to use." So I figured, OK, at least they CAN be used.

Well, yes and no. The rear buttons can be depressed...but they don't snap back. Depress a button, and the viewfinder cycles through the menu settings too quickly to pick one till you push another button.

At least I ended up with a working second charger and a spare proprietary USB cable.

Latest threads

Top Bottom