1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

G3 body to compliment GX1?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by RoadTraveler, Dec 3, 2012.

1. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    Surely the latest bodies are arguably the 'best' while also the most expensive. However, seems the 1-year-old bodies are very good, relatively inexpensive, which leaves more money for lenses.

I've always been a fan of having and working with two bodies. Last week I purchased a GX1 and two lenses. Since the beginning I've considered purchasing either a second body or a add-on viewfinder for the GX1, which brought me to consider the G3 for $300.

My arguments/rationale in favor of buying a G3:

-Viewfinder: for $100 more than a GX1 viewfinder alone, I can have an extra body, viewfinder, articulating screen!... seems very worth it.

-Battery. Appears the GX1 & G3 use the same battery, very practical and useful for a two body kit to use the same batteries. [My Canon 5D and 5D2 use different.]

-Price. $300 is inexpensive (with a lens I might sell), and I'm trying to spend less on bodies than lenses. All these bodies might be junk/discarded in a few or several years, as the newer stuff comes out, then is discounted 1-2 years later, just like the current G3.

-Small. I like the small size, my main reason to try m4/3 was to get small again. Bigger than the GX1, but maybe not too much?

-User interface: Similar to the GX1 that I'm already getting accustomed to.

Negatives:

-It's not the latest body with the most features?

What else am I missing here?

Any other glaring differences compared to my GX1 other than it has an electronic viewfinder and an articulating screen?

2. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    If you already have the kit lens you can sell the second kit lens.
    This will make the G3 cheaper then the GX1 viewfinder.

3. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I think your idea is very good.
    I'm assuming you have a decent lens to stick on each body and use them both in tandem?

4. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    Yes sir.

I purchased/have the 7-14 & 12-35. Later, a longer lens will probably be added, not sure which one yet.

5. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I'll give you one more reason - handling of G3 is better than Gx1 with VF.

6. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    Yep, built-in viewfinder is better, articulating screen, 2nd body, similar controls, same batteries, all for $300; seems like a deal.

Who knows I might end up preferring the G3 to the GX1. Only negative is I actually have to spend $300.

7. Anthonys

Anthonys Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2011
    Sydney
    Anthony
    I've had both for a year but never use the G3 body and will likely sell it this month. That said I prefer to travel light and find the gx1 much easier to slip in my bag, especially with the 20 or 14 pancake.

If you want another body I don't think it's a bad option though, especially if you want an EVF. They are practically the same camera though the gx1 is a step up in build quality, the g3 on the other hand has more features. The gx1 has also dropped in price, they must be pretty similar now?

I can confirm the battery is exactly the same.

8. NickLeon

NickLeon Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2010
    Somerset UK
    I think the G3 is very good value right now - I enjoy using mine and if you really prefer having two bodies then it seems the best solution.

9. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    Thanks for confirming they take the same battery.

It's not that I so much 'want' and EVF, but think there are times where it might work better, like the articulating LCD.

I paid $450 last week for a GX1 kit, the G3 kit is about $300, depending on where one buys.

I prefer compact too, but I'm not using the smallest lenses.

10. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    Thanks. It's not so much that I prefer two bodies, but I don't care to change lenses often. At events it can be very helpful to have two bodies with lenses mounted while walking about shooting.

Later this week I'll be at a motorcycle show doing exactly that...and I'm debating buying the second body (G3) before the trip, or just making do with the GX1 and waiting until closer to Christmas. I almost ordered today (a few minutes ago) from Amazon but decided to wait at least another day.

11. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    I shoot with the OM-D & GX1, a lot of times with the two lenses you mention 12-35 & 7-14. I have other considerations as well (CA on Oly and IBIS), but when I don't bring the GX1 I find myself defaulting to the 12-35 (pretty obvious for walk-around) and I do miss some ultra-wide compositions.

In your situation, having the 7-14 & 12-35 I'd spend $300 on the G3 kit, and sell the kit lens. From that cost of $220-$230 it probably won't depreciate more than $100 by the time you don't need it anymore.

12. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    Agreed, the 12-35 will surely be my default lens, walking around or not, as it was with dSLR [24-70].

Yep, seems a no brainer to sell the kit lens from the G3, and maybe even the one from the GX1 kit, as I don't really see myself using them with the other lenses I've purchased.

Is $70 a good price for a quick sale of a mint 14-42 lens?

Thanks,

James

13. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    Did It. Amazon $299

I wasn't sure about the G3 but there is only one way to know if it will work for me and I like it.

B&H has had the G3 kit for $299 with free [ground] shipping, but they are on the other side of the country. While I'm not in a big hurry and could wait, I often want gear ASAP and I'm traveling out of town for an event this Thursday and would like to have the second body. So I could either pay $40-50 for overnight or I could just wait until after the event, maybe weeks? I didn't want to pay for the overnight shipping.

Amazon has had the G3 body only for about $336...then early this morning I looked and they also has the same G3 kit with 14-42 for $299. I even put it in my cart and was thinking about it while I swear it disappeared from the cart; gone. Only one at that price maybe? I didn't notice. Amazon ships from nearby, and we have Amazon Prime so upgrading to 'next day' is usually every inexpensive. I decided that if the G3 Kit was available later at the same price I'd buy it.

A couple hours later I was waiting for an appointment, checked Amazon on my phone and there it was again; G3 14-42 kit for $299 one available. I didn't delay this time, put it in my cart, upgrading shipping, and paid. Done.

Tomorrow I'll make sure it works, see which lens I prefer on which body, and shoot with two on Friday. Good.

14. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    Not only did I buy a G3 from Amazon, I used it for a long day of shooting on Saturday, about 400 shots. My 7-14 stayed on the G3 all day, and I never once used the viewfinder to take a shot, though I used the LCD's articulating feature for almost every image.

As someone commented, the G3 seems not quite the same quality as the GX1, though both have their pluses and minuses. Using the same batteries is/was huge, I went through a few between two bodies. I hit the screen and buttons and inadvertently changed some settings a few times, more on the G3 than the GX1 for some reason. Overall I think the camera was a good value for a second body, particularly after I sell a kit lens to defray the cost.

Not quite new from Amazon!

Not only had the G3 box obviously been opened, it looked like the lens had been mounted and there were a few minor fingerprints on the LCD! :mad:

I like things new and perfect and typically in such a situation I'd complain and return the item for a new/perfect replacement. But I received the G3 on Wednesday and was leaving town on Thursday; if I wanted a second m3/4 body this was it. The sensor looked clean, I took a few test shots with the kit lens, and decided the camera would be functionally fine and I'd keep it.

The nice screen protectors I'd purchased for the GX1 (a 2-pack) fit the G3 screen perfectly, so I cleaned the LDC with microfiber, put the screen film on, and all seems okay.

P.S. While possibly a better comment for another thread... I did get plenty of flare with the 7-14 in several shots from the overheard lighting. The below is not the best image (have to save those), but one that shows some flare!

Attached Files:

15. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    I have the other way around, bought a GX1 to compliment the G3. no regrets. same battery to boot.

16. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    You could email Amazon to report on these findings. I puchased the Gx-1 from Amazon warehouse and was missing the charger and battery, they promptly issued a decent amount of refund, bringing my cost down to $270.

17. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    It took a while to find a good contact them that was not to 'return' the item, but I just sent them a message. We shall see what they say and offer.

18. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    LeoS,

You were correct I should and did contact Amazon. They apologized and said I could return, exchange, or take a 20% discount. My initial thought was that I'd take the money and just make the G3 that much less expensive for me...

However, I've started to think seriously about returning it and buying a G5. I do seem to hit the buttons on the G3 while shooting, and the reviews all say the ergonomics on the G5 are better. There are other upgraded features as well. Negatives are $200+ more and doesn't use the same GX1 battery.

19. Highgrovemanor

Highgrovemanor Mu-43 Regular

Sep 12, 2011
    I just recently picked up a G3 to body-double a GX1 while vacationing, and figure I got an EVF, extra battery, and entire 2nd camera and kit lens (still need to resell) for $120 more than an EVF. :)

I enjoy having 2 mounted lenses while on vacation,. But I'm only an occasional shooter, so same battery and cheaper pricing outweigh ultimate performance or extra features.

Of course I may wind up picking up the LVF for next summer's trip to Alaska...which kinda blows the economics of it. Keep my 9-18 on the gx1, and a tele zoom on G3.

20. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    Not so much on vacation, but when shooting an event, assignment, or project I really like having two bodies/lenses mounted instead of only one body.

I sold the G3 I had purchased to forum member. Today I returned the G5 I'd bought last week, and ordered first a LVF2, and then a GX1 w/ 14-42 PZ when I learned of the killer deal on that setup [I want a second body, just was not able to 'love' the others].

Using the same batteries for two bodies is very nice.