1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

G3 as a GF1 replacement

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Bill, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Bill

Bill Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2009
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill (really)
    The G3 just arrived yesterday, so these are initial impressions. The raw files aren’t recognised by Lightroom, so I’m confined to JPEGSs.

First, it’s small. With the 20mm, the G3 fits in my small bag in the space previously occupied by my GF1 (even with my BlackRapid connector in the tripod thread). Surprisingly, the height of the G3's EVF doesn’t seem to make much difference; it’s the depth of it that’s noticeable.

The buttons and controls are not as good as the GF1 or G1, but they will do the job. Most of the reviewers have complained about the function 2 button as being too flush with the body -- they’re right. (I’m thinking of putting a drop of epoxy on the top of the button to extend it a bit.)

Because my bag isn’t padded, I keep the display turned in, to protect it from knocks. So when I pull it out of my bag and switch it on, the EVF is automatically selected. It’s really great to have an EVF in a quality camera all of the time.

I loved my GF1, but I’m not even looking back.

More impressions to follow once Lightroom catches up.

Are there other impressions?

• Like Like x 4
  2. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Nice to hear a comparison from a GF1 user! I have a G3 on pre-order and previously owned a GF1 - your experience is about in line with my expectations, so that is a good sign indeed. Thanks!

3. Bill

Bill Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2009
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill (really)
    A follow-up

With the 20mm, I find that I’m able to use a wrist strap with the G3; where I previously needed the neck strap with the GF1.

Because the GF1’s screen needed the camera to be held away from the body to focus, the easiest way to stabilise it was to use a neck strap and push it out enough to be tight. That held the GF1 quite still. The G3, however, with its EVF, is stabilised by being held against the head. This means that it only needs a wrist strap.

With the extra weight of the 14-140mm, however, the BlackRapid does the trick.