G3 Aperture / Shutter speed adjustment - is it slow?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by nandystam, Sep 28, 2011.

1. nandystam

nandystam Mu-43 Regular

Aug 16, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hi folks

In my never ending decision between the E-P3 and G3, I just have a question about using the rear dial for aperture/shutter adjustment in the various modes.

I've played with a G3 in store, and from memory when you adjust the aperture in Av mode, a small 'scale' comes up in the display, and as you adjust the dial, the scale moves in a slow (imo it seemed slow), animated fashion up or down to the appropriate setting.

Is that right? From using other DSLR's, adjusting the aperture seemed a bit more instantaneous - you use the wheel to adjust and the aperture and the values change straight away. From my recollection the G3 seemed a bit slower because of the animated scale.

Or am I hallucinating? :)

Hopefully someone can set me straight.

Cheers :)

2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    The scale moves slow, but the actual number value changes instantaneously the moment you move the dial. Don't follow the scale. :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  3. nandystam

nandystam Mu-43 Regular

Aug 16, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thanks.

So based on that, once the aperture value changes you can just shoot if you're ready?

Don't suppose you can turn the animation off altogether? :)

4. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    Yes the scale can be turned off, I turned mine off not long after getting the camera.

Paul

• Like Like x 1
  5. nandystam

nandystam Mu-43 Regular

Aug 16, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Excellent!

I don't really know why companies intentionally slow down their UI's with pretty transitions and animations and things. It might appeal to a beginner, but it wears off pretty quickly. But if you can turn things off, even better.

6. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I don't think the scale moves slow, and if it is, it's not because of animation, but because it's checking the metering and updating the "red" area.

It adjusts faster than I can shoot, anyways!