1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

G3 aperture reading.

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Phil66, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Phil66

Phil66 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2011
    Ello all,

I can get my G3 to display an aperture value of 18 with the kit lens fitted. The kit lens only goes to 5.6.

Can someone please explain.

Thanks

Phil

2. Giant bubble guy

Giant bubble guy Mu-43 Regular

Sep 11, 2011
    Hi Phil,

I'm no expert in the matter, but I think that 5.6 is the largest aperture available at the telephoto end of the kit zoom. The lens can be stopped down (not sure if I have that term right) to a much smaller aperture if desired. 3.5 is the largest aperture available with the kit lens, and only available at the wide end of the zoom range.

Dustin

3. Phil66

Phil66 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2011
    Yes, but the LCD is showing it at 18.

Phil

4. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    I believe thats the base-aperture at that particular zoom level - you can stop down further than that (22 or 32 are common 'smallest aperture values' - not sure what the kit is capable of).

Cheers,
    Raj.

5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Yes, the printing on the lens says "14-42 f/3.5-5.6" that means at it's WIDEST it's f/3.5 when at 14mm and f/5.6 at 42mm. However, the lenses will stop down to I think f/22 at any focal length.

There is no reason at all to be at f/18. In fact, these lenses start to get WORSE after f/8 or f/11.

As I mentioned in the other thread, get out of A mode into P mode, and learn EV first. Also, check out the thread I mentioned in my other posting, and I HIGHLY recommend (as did others) Bryan Peterson's "Understanding Exposure" as a great first photog book.

6. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Large aperture = small f/number.

Small aperture = large f/number.

Your kit lens goes from f/3.5 - f/22 at the wide end (14mm), and from f/5.6 - f/22 at the long end (42mm). f/18 is simply 2 notches before f/22.

DH

7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    More specifially, the aperture is the ratio of FL divided by the physical aperture opening. So, an f/2 12mm lens has a 12mm focal length, and a physical aperture of 6mm = f/2.

If you stop the 12mm f/2 lens down to f/8, then the physical aperture opening will be 12/8 or 1.5mm --- much smaller. The higher the aperture f/number, the smaller the opening, the less light that gets into the sensor.

If you are not sure of the relationship of shutter speed, aperture and ISO, then you do need to read up on that. Aperture and shutter speed work together to determine the exposure and the amount of light hitting the sensor, and ISO determines how sensitive the sensor will be to light.

Here's a video I found by googling "what is exposure" [ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LI6kB4OPpNM]What is Exposure ? | Photography | Camera | Michael Andrew - YouTube[/ame]

• Like Like x 1
  8. Phil66

Phil66 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2011
    Thanks again everyone, this has all been a great help. I guessed there was no need to be at F18 but I was just winding the wheel to see what happens.

Phil