1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

G3 and shooting black and white

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by riverbum, Jul 24, 2012.

1. riverbum

riverbum Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 24, 2012
    Mt Olive, NJ
    Sorry if this has already been addressed but I just got a Panasonic G3 a few weeks ago that I love! I also want to get into b&w more. I was wondering if there is a way to shoot in b&w besides using the sepia filter. I don't think that setting allows for control over iso. I guess its not that important but was wondering if I was overlooking something

2. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I think the G3 has a film mode setting in the menus, does it not? One of the options in film mode should be B&W. There may even be a couple of different B&W choices.

But I prefer to shoot in color, in raw, and then do the black and white conversion in post processing. This gives you much more flexibility to alter the tones. For example, you can apply filters (e.g., yellow or red filters to darken a blue sky) in software, rather than in camera. Post gives you a lot of options for adjusting contrast and how the various color tones map to the B&W image that you'll never get in camera.

If you want to shoot in color, but see the viewfinder in B&W, you can choose a B&W film mode and shoot raw+jpeg. The VF shows you the preview in B&W, but the raw file is still in color.

3. riverbum

riverbum Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 24, 2012
    Mt Olive, NJ
    That's exactly what I want to do. I want to get a feel for how it will look but do the b&w conversion with my Nik software. Thanks for the pointers!