G3 and GX1 hacked

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Aegon, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    PTool v3.66d public beta topic - Personal View Talks

Initial release of the G3 and GX1 hack with PTool 3.66d.

Obviously there hasn't been time for the masses to sort through issues, so don't expect smooth sailing yet. But if you've been waiting, the time has come.

:smile:

2. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Does anyone know where to find a list of all the features this would add/change on the G3 & GX1? I gather these are primarily video enhancements which aren't worth updating the firmware for me. I'm just wondering if there are some stills-oriented changes I might be interested in that weren't obvious from the project FAQs and release notes.

3. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I can't think of any improvements to stills. I did a quick search of the changelog and faq and didn't see anything that caught my eye.

The big "general" improvements are customizable language menus and removal of the 30 minute movie limit (which only applies in certain European regions anyway).

Mostly it lets you up your video bitrate to make video motion and detail smooth and crisp.

4. xellz

xellz Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 1, 2012
    Japan
    Oleg
    Oh, does it unlock japanese version cameras? Where menus are limited to only japanese.

5. MartinOcando

MartinOcando Mu-43 Regular

Apr 3, 2012
    Panama
    Is one of the primary features, long requested by japanese purchased cameras.

6. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    It does. I got my GH1 in Japan and used Ptool to update the firmware to English.

7. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    X3 with my GF1 (bought in Korea)

8. ChipThome

ChipThome Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2011
    Ptool was devised originally to address the wrapped interlacing issues of the Panasonic AVCHD video codec and to allow the camera to record video at higher than standard bit rates. While they were in there fooling around, they unlocked OEM battery restrictions, 30 minute record restrictions as well as unlocking all the language options the cameras already had.

It has done miracles for the video aspects, but I don't ever remember any discussion about it addressing anything for jpeg or RAW still file formats etc.