1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

G3 and G5 Sensors?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Dave Jenkins, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Dave Jenkins

Dave Jenkins Mu-43 Veteran

Do the Panasonic G3 and G5 have the same sensor?

If they do, what is the advantage of the G5?

If they do not have the same sensor, how is the G5's sensor different?

2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    From what I understand they do NOT share the same sensor, although in practice the differences don't seem to be dramatic.

The G5's sensor has slightly higher pixel density (16.1MP v. 15.8MP) and it is also supposedly a "digital" sensor, which apparently indicates that some of the processing is taking place on the sensor itself. The supposed advantage of this setup is improved high-ISO performance, but that doesn't seem to be borne out by the DXOMark Low Light Performance scores, where the G3 (which scored 677) actually outperformed the G5 (618). On the flip side, the G5 sensor achieved a stop more dynamic range than the G3 in DXOMark's tests (11.6 EV to 10.6 EV).

In short, I don't think the new sensor is likely to be a major factor in choosing one over the other. More important are things like the G5's higher resolution LCD, faster burst rate, eye sensor, orientation sensor and probably most notably the larger grip which many consider to be more ergonomic.

3. Dave Jenkins

Thanks much. That is very helpful. I owned a G3 briefly and am thinking of getting another one, but wondered if it would be better to move up to the G5. Apparently I need to take a look at the G6 to see if it offers any worthwhile advantages over the previous models.

4. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    OTOH, the G6 and the G5 DO have the same sensor. If you want something additional out of the G6 compared to the G5, it will need to be in viewfinder features and shooting ergonomics, because it won't be in the sensor.

5. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    At it's current price the G5 is the best value camera in the :43: lineup.

6. Manu-4Vendetta

Manu-4Vendetta Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Dominican Republic
    G5, G6 and GH2 the same sensor.

7. Manu-4Vendetta

Jul 8, 2011
    Dominican Republic
    I just read that the G3 also uses the GH2 sensor. :eek:

8. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    No G3 and GX1 use same sensor, it's different from GH2, G5, G6.

9. Dave Jenkins

This is good info. Thanks, all.

10. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Between the two I'd choose the G5 for more external controls and better form factor. As a G2 user the G3 was real disappointment when it first came out. It was too stripped down for me.

Fred

11. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Fred that's my impression too : that the G5 fixes all the cock-ups that some keen designer put into the too-squished G3.
    Having no eye-sensor is a right pain in the arse in the G3, that, and generally slowish processing put me off owning one - even though their used prices are criminally LOW.
    G5 feels good, has eye-sensor and enough buttons and switches.

12. BigCTM

BigCTM Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2012
    I have owned both and the image quality is very similar. I actually find the image quality of the G3 slightly better, mainly from an auto white balance perspective.

13. blotto

blotto Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I totally agree about the eye sensor, it is a pain having to switch between the evf and the screen. But i do use the efv about 90% of the time, so in reality it isnt that bad.

14. Manu-4Vendetta

Jul 8, 2011
    Dominican Republic
    I think that, but:

'The G3 has a 16.7 megapixel sensor derived from the one in the top-of-the-line Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2.[2] This is an improvement over the previous 12.1 megapixel four thirds sensors used by other Olympus and Panasonic MFT cameras, with the exception of the unique multi-aspect sensors used on the Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 and GH2 hybrid video/still MFT cameras.'

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

15. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    You need to dig a little deeper when taking a comment such as this from Wikipedia. First off you'll note that the article states the G3 sensor is "derived from" the GH2 sensor, not that the two bodies share a sensor. If you look at the source provided for this statement, it comes from a Polish blog's interpretation of an interview with a Panasonic engineer. The text of the blog post explains in more detail (emphasis mine):

Unfortunately the video of the interview is not working for me currently.

16. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Remember that Wikipedia is written an edited by ordinary people, who may or may not have expertise in the field. That Wiki article is just plain wrong. The G5, G6 and GH2 actually have a 18 MP sensor of which only 16 MP is used. On the GH2, depending on the aspect ratio chosen (4:3, 3:2, 16:9) the sensor is cropped to approximately 16 MP. The G5 and G6 don't have this multi-aspect capability, so when you choose a format other than 4:3 you actually crop out even more pixels, but still share the 18 MP sensor from the GH2.

The G3 is a 16MP sensor, not a cropped 18MP one. This is easily documented if you do some searches and research on your own, rather than relying on someone else's (invalid) research. Go to DPReview and look up the sensor specs of the specific cameras.

On a different subject, the G5 and G6 have notably better JPEG engines than does the G3.

17. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Despite the different sensors, both the G3 and G5 have similar image qualities. So in choosing one or the other, the deciding factor will be handling. The G3 is much more compact and sleek, but gives up ergonomics. It is also missing the eye sensor. G5 has much better handling, shoots faster, and higher resolution evf. In fact the G5 just does everything better than the G3. If they are both going for about the same price, I see no reason to get the G3 over G5.

p.s. I shoot the G5 and my girlfriend has G3 so I have hands on experience with both.

18. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Wikipedia : NOT an authority when things get ever more detailed.

19. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    That's not really fair to paint Wikipedia with such a broad brush. I would hazard to say that many of not most WP articles are written as well and are as well researched as anything from Encyclopedia Britannica. Wikipedia is the most comprehensive organized compendium of information ever created by our society.

Since every "fact" presented in WP should contain a reference, many times validating the information is as simple as checking the referenced source, as in this case. If I see something presented in an article which is unreferenced, then I'll know to take it with a grain of salt and/or disregard it completely. Likewise, if the referenced source seems less than credible to me. As a WP user, some of the responsibility for verifying the validity of the information falls on you.

While it is far from perfect I feel WP gets dismissed much too quickly by many people. Yes, as subjects become more specialized, participation in the editing process natural diminishes, so more arcane articles will have been edited less closely and with fewer eyeballs. All that means to me is that the reader should be that much more vigilant when relying on articles on these sorts of topics. Perhaps that was all you were saying, in which case, please excuse my rant.

20. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I have never found the lack of eye sensor a problem. Just flip out the LCD when you want it, then flip it back to engage the EVF.

The G3 is the best deal in m43, IMHO.