G3. An observation about dust.

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by ripleys baby, Jan 20, 2012.

1. ripleys baby

ripleys baby Straw clutcher

Aug 10, 2011
    Its now 7 months old and not once have i had an issue with dust or debris on the sensor of my G3. The lenses get changed often indoors and out.
    Is this just pure luck or has the G3 got a better than average cleaning system ?
    I'm now at the stage where i dont think twice about swapping over anywhere.

Both my Canons were Dust magnets, I only had to think about changing lenses
    and it would appear:mad:
    Has anyone else noticed this on their make of camera.
    I would have thought the mirror of an SLR would have given a little more protection.
    Is your new camera cleaner than your last one ? or worse.
    Cheers all. From a dust free camera user :2thumbs: (fingers crossed)
    • Like Like x 1
  2. 43hk

43hk Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2010
    I have an 18 month old GF1 which has had lenses changed daily on construction sites and in heavily polluted air in Beijing. And........ nothing. I don't get it either.:smile:
  3. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I haven't had my m43 gear as long as you, but no issue with dust on mine, either. I believe all m43 cameras use Oly's sensor cleaning system which, for reasons I can't explain, seems to work much better than Canon's. That said, the only Canon I ever had serious dust problems with was my 20D. My 50D stays clean, too. (Yes, I know the 20D didn't have any sensor cleaning mechanism.)
  4. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I don't have an issue until you do long exposures on my GF1. Dunno about the G3 as I haven't done that yet.
  5. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    I believe I read somewhere that this was one of the main reasons m43 has no issues with dust;

Because m43 cameras have no mirror, the dust barrier can be moved further away from the sensor itself. Therefore if dust does get caught there, any shadow it casts will have mostly diffused by the time the light reaches the sensor. In a DSLR, it has to be right on top of the sensor, so the shadow will be very obvious.
  6. JohnF

JohnF Mu-43 Regular

Apr 1, 2010
    Oberursel, Germany
    The Supersonic Wave Dust removal, which is only available on Olympus and Panasonic camera bodies, is considered to be by far the best in the business. I've never had any problems with dust on sensors. Most folks don't, and I didn't even know that this was a problem for many until a friend of mine said he couldn't meet up with me because he had to spend the evening cleaning off his sensors. I didn't believe him and he invited me to watch...ye gods.

That alone was reason enough to go with 4/3...
  7. DDBazooka

DDBazooka Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    I got some dust on my EPM1 that didn't come off with the SWD. Had to manually remove it.
  8. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    After purchasing my G1 I cleaned it soon thereafter, something got stuck on the sensor. After that? Never. And my GH2's sensor never has been cleaned. I once saw a dust speck on a picture, but nothing on the pics after that moment.

My Nikon D200 needed regular cleaning, once every six months. The D300s a little less, once in 1 year. But if I stopped down beyond f/11 I certainly could see some grit on the pics.

It's wonderful to be careless about changing lenses and getting away with it. This will probably be the main reason why I won't change over to Sony, despite the better sensor in the NEX cameras.